Danish Modern Chair Finished

Rate this topic

It's done, and delivered to the owner lastnight. It turned out really nice, the chair is nice and tight now, and I steel wooled it clean of dirt and smooted out imperfections, then I applied a very liberal coat of BLO and let dry for 15 minutes and rubbed off

The next evening I rubbed it out with Liberon Black Bison Wax, this really is the final finish when it comes to any work I do. Finished work does not leave my shop without a coat of wax, the wax gives an overall warmth and eveness to the project, not too mention the Bison Wax just smells reall nice too, I love it. See the beautiful sheen and gloss on the arms and rest of the chair, that is a direct result of the waxing.

You'll notice in the images in Danish Modern Part 1 you'll see some paint scratches in the wood, I braved the procedure that Mark Wisecarver had suggested but I shot down, scraping the paint off with a card scraper. It actually worked very well, just a couple light passes with the card scraper the embedded paint came right off.

145929.jpg

post-1-0-59199900-1417926754.jpg

post-1-0-11944700-1417926756.jpg

post-1-0-54823000-1417926757.jpg

post-1-0-86669900-1417926758.jpg

post-1-0-15792200-1417926760.jpg

Great job of restoring this beautifully designed and built chair.

Never been a fan of DM furniture but, that chair's lines are actively and pleasantly integrated and quite appealing. 

Gene, thanks for the kind comments, this chair does something for me, you are right, nice lines, and it is hand made, when I viewed the arms straight on they were not equally shaped, you could tell hands had shaped the arms at least, it was a joy to work on.

SWEET!

I've heard that Liberon wax is great stuff but never tried it.

Thanks Lew, the wax is nice finishing touch on anything, it is the final rubout, applied with steel wool and buffed with a soft cotten rag, it produces a nice sheen and even finish. You know sometimes your finish just has that uneveness about it, the wool and wax evens it all out. The wax is pricey, but you don't need much, it is very soft unlike paste wax, and spreads like soft butter. It hardens in a few minutes so you need to get your elbow working before then, but not too soon as you want a hardened wax to buff. I know many of you have buffed the toes of your boots before inspection, and you know how to get that hardened surface with wax, this is a great wax to do just that with.

nice job. 

Never heard of bison wax.

That chair has to be nearly 40 years old

Is there a maker's mark on it?

Cliff, no makers mark, I scoured the surface and the seats and back rest for any faint sign, and none that I could see. I do know from the woman who owns it, that her brother had is since the 50's and it was given to him by their dad, so it goes back aways.

Cliff, no makers mark, I scoured the surface and the seats and back rest for any faint sign, and none that I could see. I do know from the woman who owns it, that her brother had is since the 50's and it was given to him by their dad, so it goes back aways.

Gee, that's older than I imagined. The maker was way ahead of the pack. Hand made, too. That's impressive!

Way back when, I actually used Kiwi shoe polish on a few boxes. Worked on combat boots and dress shoes, so why not wood? Then I discovered that there needed to be some sort of harder finish first. Shoe makers already knew that. Nowadays, I've become more learned and use a more durable finish first. 

Bison is expensive but cheaper by the oz. than Kiwi. 

Well some of those older Danish Modern chairs;  the ones made by the masters like Finn Juhl and others can fetch in the tens of thousands of dollars.

I recall  one going for $50 Gees.  Not so the mass production chairs.

Very nice restoration to the chair John. I love the lines on those older chairs also. They just have a character of their own.

The finish is top notch, but you always to top notch finishes. I like the sheen the wax gives it also.

Great job.

Thanks big John, as long as I stay in my comfort zone my finishes do look pretty good don't they? I need to veer out of it though and start experimenting again!

Well some of those older Danish Modern chairs;  the ones made by the masters like Finn Juhl and others can fetch in the tens of thousands of dollars.

I recall  one going for $50 Gees.  Not so the mass production chairs.

This one was clearly hand made Cliff, may have even been made by a weekend warrior  back in the day!