Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Ron Altier

Do You Have A Fire Extinguisher

Rate this topic

I have never had a fire extinguisher in wood shop. No need for it, or so I thought.

I have been doing a lot of lathe work on my mini lathe. I like to sand down to a very fine grit and then use 0000 steel wool. I've done it for years and like the results really well. I was using the steel wool on a small piece and suddenly it caught on the piece, the wool came undone and stretched, while spinning at full speed. It was hitting the lathe bed with every revolution and very quickly  got very hot. The fine dust in the steelwool caught fire and started sending sparks and fire off in many directions. This all happened in a couple of seconds that it takes to reach for and turn off the switch. I was lucky that I was able to put the fire out by blowing and smothering it. Its a very good thing that I  had just cleaned the lathe area and there wasn't much dust to catch fire.

When I removed the piece from the lathe, I found that I had dropped a drop of glue on part of the piece and that is what grabbed the wool............. I will get a fire extinguisher. :unsure:

You can never have enough fire extinguishers... Most fires if not put out within a few sec. will destroy your building. In my area the schools and businesses have to change out the fire extinguishers every so many years like it or not. Some are in very good condition. Our local junkyard has 1000's of them and you can buy them cheap. With any powered extinguisher you should once a year turn it upside down and smack it with a rubber hammer.