Rate this topic

Well yesterday I was able to get in the shop and rough out my arms on the rocker. It really was one of the most enjoyable parts of this chair build. I got to grind away a lot of wood with reckless abandon, up to a point, and put my own artistic flare into the final style of the arms. I am almost there, the pics below are still showing it in the rough, but I think I almost got the arms to where I want them.

This first pic is the arm joint in the process of being shaped, the chair is turned upside down. I think one of hardest things I had to overcome while building this chair, was to not expect things to look great right away. Now I have developed some foresightedness and vision as far as what I want to look like, I don't get as frustrated as I did before when I look at a picture like this and think, yeegads!

ning-shapingarm-53902-27.jpg?width=721

The tool of choice for rough shaping these chairs into submission.

ning-grinder-53902-22.jpg?width=721

Before Arm

ning-armblocked-53902-7.jpg?width=721

After Arms, not done yet, but close!

ning-armsroughedout-53902-86.jpg?width=7

Thanks for looking guys, and I hope to get some more pics posted here soon.

Great looking, I love the hand molding that really puts a great touch to your work. I am not familiar with the tool you have in your grinder. It looks like it is doing a really good job. What is it called and where can I get one.

I really envy your shop, I had one that looked a great deal like yours. When I moved west, I had to down size a bunch and sure wish I had my old set up. The tool I miss the most is my old 10' cast iron table saw. I now use a contractors saw and it does many things, especially fold up. It sure don't give me the accuracy and I miss that a lot

Thanks

Ron

Thanks Ron, the tool I am using is called a Kutzall and it is the Dish Wheel, it cuts and carves contours very nicely and efficiently.

Thanks for the compliments on the shop, it is small, I get to use the two car portion of our 3 car garage, the other third is family stuff, bikes, boxes, and mamas stuff. My shop is not pretty either. Nothing matches, but it has a character all it's own that I enjoy. And I gotta say Ron, looks like you don't need fancy tools, you do beautiful work with what you got! And that speaks volumes about your capacity as a woodworker. I have perused your site, and the work is very nice indeed.

Thanks again for the kudos Ron

When you use the Kutzall, do you start with a coarse one and then come down to the finest one? I have been wanting to do some Halloween creatures and these look like they are just the tool I need.

Thanks for the kind words about my work and website. I don't usually make more than one of anything, unless it is for the grandkids and would rather make something new each time. Many things that I have made ended out as fire wood. However only God and I know and neither of us are telling. :-)