I wanted to show you guys one of my projects that I am proudest of. My grandson loved firetrucks and I decided to make him one for Christmas a couple of years ago. I did some research on the web and found out that there is no standard type firetruck. When one is ordered, they get what they want on it for specific purposes. So I took some things from many pictures and made one up. I used Padouk, Yellow hart, curly Maple, Mahogany and what ever small scraps of exotic wood I could include. I wanted it to be played with, so I have a hose with a hand crank and an extending ladder. I turned the fire extinguishers on the rear and each gauge is a hole drilled out and filled with maple.
 My grandson loved it then and still does. He played with it a lot then, but has now moved on to the computer, soccer, bicycles, etc. Now it is in a special place in his room to keep it safe.

firetruckfrontsm.jpg

firetruckrearsm.jpg

Firetrucksm.jpg?width=581

It is all natural wood. The red colored is Padouk, which can vary from bright red to dull crimson. The only down side of using dark woods is that they get darker as they age. I'm sure you have seen old Cherry or Walnut and how they have darkened over the years. The red will darken to a very deep dark red color as the years pass.

Ralph, I made the wheel hubs out of Maple, the lug nuts are decorative tacks and the caps are the caps used on a lot of toy axles. The silver stripe around the hub was made with a silver marker. If you look at all the pictures of the wheels, you will see that the Maple shows. The bottom photo must have a reflection that makes it all look silver. The extension ladder is Curly Maple.

Hi Ron,

Great job all around and you made it look so realistic. The curly maple through me a bit and I found one board thatI think is curly maple in my last supply of lumber Sunday. I also got in some butter nut that I want to make a mission style coffee table out of. I think that I will finish it natural for it will turn darker as time goes by.

Ralph

Ron Altier said:

Ralph, I made the wheel hubs out of Maple, the lug nuts are decorative tacks and the caps are the caps used on a lot of toy axles. The silver stripe around the hub was made with a silver marker. If you look at all the pictures of the wheels, you will see that the Maple shows. The bottom photo must have a reflection that makes it all look silver. The extension ladder is Curly Maple.

• 4 years later...