Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Ralph  Allen Jones

WOODWORKING QUIZ for 31 JULY 11 "a learning tool"

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Ralph Allen Jones -
Paul Whitmarsh -

Top Posters

Having always been accused, and rightly so, of over engineering everything- I would layout a full sized mock up of the base/outline. Mark/cut test pieces to check. Then create a cutting jig in case I had to make another project later.

Stainable wood putty.

I would make a block to that angle, and use that block to set up my miter saw with.      Angle can be marked out with a framer's  framing square, as it will give you the right angle.    A bevel guage can then be used to mark the angle out on the set-up block.    Be sure to write WHAT angle it is, ON the set-up block.

I think this would work well if you make certain the table of the saw is absolutely level.

Ralph Allen Jones said:

Good Morning Fellows,

Good answers from all of you this morning and here is another way for setting the miter gauge without a lot of math.

ning-setanglesonmitergaugeusingawixie-42

using the  digital angle finder like ralph posted doesnt require the reference table or etc. to be level, to use you set the angle finder on the machine or whatever and press set, the finder than references that surface as dead level and makes any angle thereafter based on that reference surface.

Lewis Kauffman said:

I think this would work well if you make certain the table of the saw is absolutely level.

Ralph Allen Jones said:

Good Morning Fellows,

Good answers from all of you this morning and here is another way for setting the miter gauge without a lot of math.

I was in the shower, where I do my best thinking, and realized that what I had written did in fact not take this into consideration. Thanks for the correction, Paul. Sometimes I think I need a plexiglass belly button so I can see where I'm going.

Lew

Paul Whitmarsh said:

using the  digital angle finder like ralph posted doesnt require the reference table or etc. to be level, to use you set the angle finder on the machine or whatever and press set, the finder than references that surface as dead level and makes any angle thereafter based on that reference surface.

Lewis Kauffman said:

Ralph Allen Jones said:

Good Morning Fellows,

no prob lew, just trying to help, didnt know if you knew about the "magic box" as i like to call it, there is also many other uses for it that i have found

Lewis Kauffman said:

I was in the shower, where I do my best thinking, and realized that what I had written did in fact not take this into consideration. Thanks for the correction, Paul. Sometimes I think I need a plexiglass belly button so I can see where I'm going.

Lew

Paul Whitmarsh said:

Lewis Kauffman said:

Ralph Allen Jones said:

Good Morning Fellows,

Sign in to follow this