Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Dear folks, help us raise funding for our community directly. And in the process you'll have a chance to win some terrific tools donated by our sponsors!  Read More...

Larry Buskirk

Delta 700 Scroll Saw Restoration, and Upgrade

Rate this topic

Thanks for the comments everyone, and sorry for the delay in getting this finished.

I've been dealing with a case of the creapy crud (cold with flu like symptoms) for the better part of a week now.

So when I feel more up to it I'll be sure to "getter done" and give what will be close to the final update of progress.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Hi everyone,

It's been awhile since I last did an update on this, so here we go.

I had put this on hold while I determined which side to mount the drive on. I have came to the conclusion that it will be mounted as it is now. Due to a surprise aquisition offered by a member here (my heartfelt thanks go out to him) it will be mounted back to back with the bandsaw that compliments this scroll saw.

I will be mounting both on a later model scroll saw stand that I will be putting a wood top on to make it long enough for both saws.

So when I get the stand stripped, painted, and the wood top on, it will be time for a test flight of the 700 scroll saw. I'll be posting pictures as work progresses.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Larry

As always I am impressed with the work you guys do with these older machines. I just love watching this stuff take place. Wish I had the extra room, I would definitely get involved with this.

Wayne Mahler
God bless and protect our troops that serve so we can be free.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Larry -

That's some very nice work. It looks like you had a few pieces that were pretty rough when you started out.

Were you able to salvage most of it or did you need to remake some of the parts?

That's a beautiful looking saw. 

Randy

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Randy,

The saw is a combination of parts from two 700's, plus parts from later model Delta saws. Some of the parts were made from scratch so I could adapt the later model parts to the 700. I used as many original parts as I could. Both saws were pretty rough, I used the best parts from each of them.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Thanks Shane,

This saw was my first restoration, and I think it came out rather well myself.

I'll be using the same color scheme for all of my " Old Delta's ", It was your Universal Woodworker restoration post that inspired the color scheme! I think it looks great on these smaller machines. 

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Hi Larry

I have just bought a Delta scroll saw,looks very similar to yours( great job by the way) and no sooner do i get it off my truck and put it in my garage that the upper chuck busted on it. I was wondering were would i find an upper chuck for my Delta?  If you could help me out i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks very much,

Benjamin

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Hi Benjamin,

Ouch!

I looked for better than five years to find a good upper chuck for my 700.

Almost all of the 700's I've ran accross have the upper chuck broken or missing.

They do turn up on ebay once in a while, usually as the complete plunger assembly with the head casting.

The ones I've seen went for more than I paid for both of the saws I started with.

The chucks on these machines are made out of cast Zamak, which is a type of pot metal.

Original replacements have not been available from Delta since the early 1960's.

I believe the last catalog listing was 1962.

I tried posting wanted to buy listings on other websites without success.

There is a product called Muggy Weld that others have used to weld cast Zamak parts with.

It is similar to brazing but requires less heat.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Benjamin,

It may be possible to use the lower chuck from a later model 1200/1440 saw to replace the upper chuck.

They are a direct replacement for the lower chuck.

As you know both the upper, and lower plunger tubes are round on the 700, I would have to check if they are the same size.

I got the lower one I used for about $12.00 plus shipping on ebay.

The upper plunger parts I used came in a box of miscellanious parts I picked up somewhere along the way.

It would require adding a washer, and the indexing pin to accomplish the blade indexing.

Otherwise you could do like I did using the parts from the later style upper plunger assembly.

Having a machinest friend would make turning the later style bronze bushing down much easier than turning it down by hand, like I did. Much quicker also.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Ted,

Are you missing the plunger, or the piston disc?

Heres a few links to the manual.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1115

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=520

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=5693

The manuals are from different dates.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Ted,

I thought I had a spare, but can't find it at the moment.

So I pulled the one out of my saw, to get the measurements for you.

It appears to be made of a phenolac type composition, but I don't see why you couldn't use an acrylic or brass rod in its place.

I don't have a caliper handy, so the measurements were done with a steel rule.

The diameter is 1/2", length is 1 3/16"

Edited by Larry Buskirk