Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
tool613

Make a handle for a lost or broken crank with a drill press

Rate this topic

Some of the handles for the Machines I am working on are missing or worn out. I see this a lot on the older machines that have been worked hard that i bring home to restore. Since I am doing a full restore I needed a way to fix the handles on the cranks/locks or what ever had turn handles. Here is what I came up with before I got my wadkin Pattern lathe. I thought that it would help those with out a lathe. First I take a bolt that will tap into the crank and put it in the drill press.vfd014.jpg

I use a file and round the head while it spins.

vfd015.jpg
I then drill a hole through a piece of wood with a counter bore for the new head.I leave the bolt head a little high in the wood. i am using rose wood for this.vfd017.jpg

vfd018.jpg
With the hole and the length cut,I draw a circle around the wood to the rough size. I ruff it out on the band saw.vfd020.jpg
I now put the wood back on the bolt and add nuts to cover the threads, this gives me protection for the threads in the drill chuck.vfd021.jpg

vfd022.jpg
Now remember I left the bolt head high . This is so I can crank the table up tight to the handle to give it more support as I file the shape of the handle I want and to keep it

nice and round.

vfd023.jpg

vfd024.jpg
I shape the handle as much as I can and then lower the table to do the end with the bolt head. you can see the bolt head hole left in the mdf table. I then shape the bottom with a bastard mill file and sand to a shine

vfd025.jpg

vfd026.jpg

vfd028.jpg
all I do now is tap the crank and JB/locktite weld the threads in to the taped hole so the wood spins or is tight. Most handles are a press fit in the crank so i just tap it to the size bolt that i used. in most cases its a 7/16" bolt,but you get the idea. 
IMG_0008.jpg

Great job Jack. Pretty too!

Very nice tip Jack. Thanks for the show and tell.

Regards,

Larry

Jim

How fitting of you to be at a saw in your avatar, Which of the 16 saws are you standing in front of Jim?

I like to say its easy to fix these old machines up and do it with what you got. that's how you get started on down the slop. You Jim have help show a lot of people that is does not have to be hard, I love your brush work on the old stuff you do. It adds a real hand quality to the era. Love way you move machines and singGrin.gif

Very nice and thanks for the great write up and sharing that tip.

Michael,maybe Larry will jump in here. He may know of know where to find them.

Great tip by ol Jack, haven't seen him around in a long time, but his topics are timeless! Just moved this one up from our archives after clean up.