Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Larry Buskirk

Santa left a new-old crew member!

Rate this topic

"Back From The Archives:OldManSmiley:"

So did Santa treat you all well?

He left me a new-old crew member.

So without further ado here's the newest-old member of my old machinery work crew!100_03561?width=750100_03551?width=750100_03541?width=750

It's a model 785 Delta 10" bandsaw that was available between 1931-1937. This is an early version of the saw due to the stamped steel wheels, later versions had cast wheels.

It will need to have the resto-mod treatment done to it to get it running again, but that's half the fun of owning old machines. I'll be upgrading the blade guides to the ones from a 1950's Homecraft bandsaw. I also have to give some attention to the lower drive shaft. At some point in it's past a previous owner had replaced the ball bearings with bronze bushings. The lower shaft has some damage that was done to it. The bronze bushings appear to be from a later Homecraft bandsaw, they are bigger in diameter then the shaft size, so there is some wobble. I'm trying to locate the lower shaft from a Homecraft bandsaw at the present time.

I would like to give a big Thank You to the following TPW members for thier assistance in getting this machine to me.

First off I would like to thank Ken Rasmussen for the kind offer of selling this machine to me. It was one of his own machines that he actually never saw in person. I'd been trying to get one of these for close to a decade, and Ken offered it to me after reading one of my resto-mod blogs. I'll do it up proud Ken!

Second I would like to thank John Morris and his Family for picking it up in San Diego, during a visit to John's Mother. John then took the time to package it up and get it shipped here to me in S.E. Wisconsin. Not even the FedEx people could destroy the packaging. I now know what a newspaper from San Jacinto, California looks like. John must have used the Sunday edition of the paper, we got a kick out of all the sale adds.

I'll be doing a write-up on this machine, just as I do for the rest of the old machines that become members of my crew. So it will join the lineup of machines to be featured on TPW's Old Machinery Forum.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

How you guys see the value in these old tools is amazing to me. To see the before pictures is quite depressing. However, seeing the after pictures is awesome. I don't think I could bring out the gems from the scrap heap that you do. I enjoy the journey I take with the pictures you post though.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Thanks Greg,

We don't see them as they are when we first see them. We see what they will be when we're done with them.

As the old saying goes, "One mans scrap, is another mans treasure".

We get double enjoyment out of these machines. First in redoing them, and then using them. They will outlast anything that is available today. They already have lasted longer than I am old. My newest old machine is as old as I am. We were both born in 1958.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

I didn't know that Santa had so many helpers working on the staff. Way to go Santa in getting this machine to Larry. That looks like a really neat bandsaw Larry. I can't wait to see the magic you put into it and bring it back to life. It is fun to follow these restorations. It is causing me to get this itch somewhere inside.

Not sure what it is but it kinda scares me.

Congratulations on the new addition!

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Larry, that is so cool that you got it before Christmas! What great timing!

I was on the receiving end of this deal Larry when I picked it up for you. You see, I got to meet some great people in my area and another Wounded Warrior. My family talked with Jon for about an hour, he showed us his other owwm's he was working on and he has a RAS that I never got to see fired up because he couldn't find the chord to it, so I guess I'll have to make another trip down to see that baby work! But the pleasure was all ours Larry, thank you for letting me and my family be a part of this project however small of a part it may be. I love this forum, I love the opportunities I have had the last year or so to meet some great folks and my life is richer because of it. I hope you all feel the same.

So now Larry, time to get that shop closed up and the gear in place!!!!!

Do you hear the whip cracking loudly over your head!!!

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Larry.....Im glad to see that it arrived in good shape, and I once again thank John for taking the time to help with the shipping. For those that do not know, that saw is PRE-Delta Machinery Co. as we know it today.

It is a Delta Specialty Co. which would date it as 1931-32.

In 1919 Herb Tautz started the Delta Manufacturing Co. The machines were sold under The Delta Specialty Co. name which he listed as a subsidiary of Delta Manufacturing Co. The name was dropped some time in 1932. They really are neat little saws and when restored it will make a fine tool. Have fun with the restoration on it and please document and post the progress when you have the time.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Thank's everyone,

I'll address the comments in the order they were posted.

John Moody. The itch is nothing to be scared of, it's nothing that is terminal. Ask John Morris!

John Morris. Thank You again for your kind assistance. I thought the cracking I've been hearing was one of our old trees groaning in the wind. The shop is getting closer day by day, I can tell that since retiring I've gotten out of shape. Working on the ladders seems harder than I remember, but being bundled up probably isn't helping.

Ken Rasmussen. I'll be giving it the full treatment, and will be doing a feature article on it with the photos and all. It will also be updated a little in the process of its resto-mod, as finding original parts for it are about the same as finding the cast blade chuck was for my 700 Scroll Saw.

The parts were made out of unobtainium, and today are almost impossible to find. Which is why I use parts from later model more common (easier to find) machines. I will definitely enjoy redoing, and then using this little Bandsaw. And I would like to say again Thank You for making this acquisition possible.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

"Back From The Archives:OldManSmiley:"

This post introduces one of my yet to be finished project posts from the archives.

I was just looking through the archives and the post about this machine will require quite a bit of work. Most of the photos were lost during the migration between the software platforms.

Not to fear they are in my old Kodak. W10 doesn't care to work with the camera the same way the old Vista PC did. :PullingHair:

The machine was boxed up during my hibernation period, and itself is not yet finished so I'll also be adding to the post once I get the post updated the machine unboxed and back to working on it.

I'm bringing this one back up to start off the Holiday Season. Check the original post date, and you'll see why. 

Happy Holidays.:D

Can't wait Larry to see it Larry...reading yours made me recall the post below.

I made some feeble attempts to help, but failed to continue to follow through. That period was midst of my mother being diagnosed with cancer, in/out of hospital/nursing facilities until she passed late February '17. I honestly had forgotten about @John Wright's project. Maybe he'll return and share especially with a real SME hosting these forums.

Dave,

I saw that post but didn't reply due to it appearing John had come up with a solution to his problem.

I too have gone through the agony of not being able to do anything but wait and see when friends, and family members go through cancer treatment. All but my wife is no longer with us. The old Kodak I use was one of my best friends, it was given to me by his widow. I will use it until it no longer works.

After I started my 785 project I ran across a second machine, in of all places the recycle center when I hauled in a load of scrap. I asked about it and was more or less given it when the attendant said "Since you have not gone back across the weight scale take it" So I basically traded scrap for what someone else considered the same. It was not complete but gave up a few hard to find parts.

Between the two machines I could only get one out of four wheels to spin without a wobble due to the wheels being bent/twisted.

No matter what I tried I couldn't get rid of enough of the wobble in the three wheels to satisfy myself.

I've been going through my old 785 post, and am wondering if it might not be better to simply start over due to the switch in direction that acquiring the second saw created. I may just update the existing post containing the above information before bringing it "Back From The Archives:OldManSmiley:" I'm still undecided which way would be best.