My Benches

Guest Lance The Dude Granum

Guest Lance The Dude Granum

As you all know I am building a set of benches in silver Maple. I am over half way done and my mind today was on a finish. I want the finish to be durable and I don't want a high gloss on the top at all. on the legs I will entertain Ideas. I have been down on my back for over a week and my mind races when my hands are idle. today I made it to the shop for 3 hours and then the pain was so bad I had to come in a lay down till i could stand sitting in my computer chair . Today I got 8 through mortices done on each bench that was 16 total square holes. I wanted to do these by hand but I need these done and 16 holes are a bit daunting so we made a routing jig and used a Colet and a long 1/2 inch 2 fluted spiral bit. I used Norms technique to rout the holes but the bit was almost 1/2 inch short and so i went as deep as I could then I drilled a hole through the bottom and then switched the bit to a long 1/2 inch flush trim bit and routed from the bottom making the holes perfectly square but with round corners. If I am up to it tomorrow I will square up the corners all the while I am thinking danish oil blo armor seal spray lacquer    Varnish and I don't know what I want to use I have never had a bench this nice and I want it to last but I am going to use and abuse it so the finish must be tough This is your chance to chime in on my bench build I do have a Fuji q3 hvlp spray rig and it works very well I would not hesitate to spray the benches I just need to get some ideas and methods on this job I like lacquer on my projects but I don't think that it is the right choice for workbenches your help is needed.   

Lance, a wiping varnish oil blend is what I would recommend. The bench is not a kitchen cabinet where it would be subjected to water and meat juices, so I would stay away from poly varnishes etc, it's just not needed.

Sand through the grits to 400 then apply a varnish oil blend, wipe on, wipe off. Or if your not up to making your own blend, I would flood the entire bench with Watco Danish Oil, done.

No need to fire up the sprayer for this one. It has been a fun journey building it, I would take the quiet time it takes, to apply the Watco by brush, enjoy it, let it soak it in and wipe it down.

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
Proud Supporter of Wounded Warrior Project and Homes For Our Troops

I agree with John about the poly and the kitchen cabinet look. The only thing I could add is that the finish should dry completely and leave no residue to transfer to any projects. In the school where I worked, the carpentry kids always had to refinish their benches each year. They did use oil based varnish to top the benches because it was tough, no transfer and easily sanded off and redone the following year.

Sadly, I have to admit my own workbench top has never been redone- but is sadly needed. If I remember, the top had a clear coat of finish when I purchased it a little over 30 years ago.

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host

Time traveler. Purveyor of the world's finest custom rolling pins!

Archived