Thompson's Water Seal

John Moody

Okay, I am working on another Big Green Egg table made from Cedar. I was talking with the client and ask if he wanted a finish and if so what he would like it to be since most finishes you put on and the pieces sits outside it will have to be redone in the future.

He ask me about just putting Thompson's Water Seal on the cedar and how that would work as a finish for the Egg table.

So to tell you the truth, I have never thought about it for a finish on an outside table. You guys got any ideas, pro or con?

Not a fan of Thompson's for decks. If your egg table is going to be exposed to the weather all year, Sikkens is a better choice. 

Gene
'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

This morning, on another forum some guy was saying that he grates up paraffin and melts it in mineral spirits for "a Thompson's like finish". If that's really the formula, it explains it's lack of durability.

The Sikkens we applied has lasted 7 years on a log cabin. One coat only lasts about 3 on a deck with lots of traffic. Still better than every year, though. We did find that successive coats last longer. It will build, where with Thompson's, successive coats don't seem to matter.

Gene
'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

How about something different.

In my research for a finish for exterior furniture such as Adirondack chairs made from mahogany, I have found a number of makers using Brazilian Rosewood Oil. This is a penetrating oil that is used for decks, log homes and exterior wood furniture  that is highly UV resistant and is very easily applied. You apply it once and then do it again in about 3-6 months and then once every 1-2 years depending on the piece and exposure. For something like your Green Egg tables out of Cedar it would be great!. Since it is something that can be easily maintained by the homeowner, chances are that the tables will have much greater longevity.

Here is a link to the most common Brazilian Rosewood product out there. It comes in a couple of different styles in clear and with different colors of stain.

http://www.penofin.com/products.shtml

Allen Worsham
Corona, CA

allenworsham@earthlink.net

'Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk' J. Vernon McGee

Archived