atlas jointer

I just picked up a brand new (to me at least) Atlas model 6000 jointer serial number 000462. other than somebody painted it white its complete and has very little pitting on the tables.

I'm looking forward to finding some time to tear it apart, clean it up and put it back into service.

can anybody shed some light on these machines for me?

Thank you

Round Barn WoodCrafts, Plymouth WI
roundbarnwoodcrafts@hotmail.com

John I don't know much about them, but here is  a link to a listing that has some on The Vintage Machine site.

It looks like there were made somewhere around the 1950's.

Post some pictures of it before you start the restoration so we can all follow along

Check here.

John Moody
Site Administrator

John Moody Woodworks
http://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com

Awesome John!!! Larry will be along shortly to shed some light on this as well. I love these projects, have done one of these before? I am still struggling to get my Walker Turner Drill Press put together, time is my main obstacle. I don't know how folks like Shane do the restores he does and he has a full time job to!

Pics John, we want pics!!!!

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
Proud Supporter of Wounded Warrior Project and Homes For Our Troops

John,

Here is a link to the manual.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1112

Atlas Press made their own machines as well as making machines that were rebadged for Sears under the Craftsman, Companion, and Dunlap names. 

Here is a link to some company history.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=51

Larry

ning-oldmansmiley-22024-30.gif

Old Woodworking Machinery Forum Host

Hey Larry, I bet you'd be glad to provide some phone assistance to John during his rebuild eh!

Larry walked me through the re-wiring of my dp motor over the phone, or was it chat Larry? He's a genius.

Larry Buskirk said:

John,

Here is a link to the manual.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1112

Atlas Press made their own machines as well as making machines that were rebadged for Sears under the Craftsman, Companion, and Dunlap names. 

Here is a link to some company history.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=51

Larry

ning-oldmansmiley-22023-31.gif

Old Woodworking Machinery Forum Host

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker

John,

Genius No !!!,

ning-drhessam1-22022-27.gif

Insane Yes !!!

ning-straightjacket-22022-60.gif

We rewired your Walker Turner motor over the chat line. It was an easy one, single phase 110 volt.

As to assistance to John, not a problem, if he needs it.

Larry

ning-oldmansmiley-22022-8.gifOld Woodworking Machinery Forum Host

John Morris said:

Hey Larry, I bet you'd be glad to provide some phone assistance to John during his rebuild eh!

Larry walked me through the re-wiring of my dp motor over the phone, or was it chat Larry? He's a genius.

Larry Buskirk said:

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker

Thanks for the replies folks. I really appretiate it.

I have 7 shows in the next three weeks so I won't be doing the jointer until some time in December at the earliest. I didn't even need this jointer but for only $50 I had to buy it.

At a quick glance all I'll need to do s sharpen the knives, sand the surface rust off of the tables, and make the adjustments to the fence and tables.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I got it cleaned and adjusted and it works great. the knives are carbide tipped and only reqred a quick sanding to remove some surface rust and a few passes on the sharpening stone to hone the edges.

it's back in service while we wait for a new paddle switch to arrive as currently it uses a light switch to power it on.

Great John!!!! Any pics? I think Jonel is going to disappointed you didn't share your clean up job! LOL

John Hechel said:

Well I got it cleaned and adjusted and it works great. the knives are carbide tipped and only reqred a quick sanding to remove some surface rust and a few passes on the sharpening stone to hone the edges.

it's back in service while we wait for a new paddle switch to arrive as currently it uses a light switch to power it on.

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
Proud Supporter of Homes For Our Troops and Wounded Warriors Project

its my wifes machine to use so clean-up was easy for me. I just gave har a random orbit sander, wd 40, and coarse scotch brite and told to get busy on the tables. I'll get some pictures tonight if my switch comes in.

• 3 weeks later...

John Hechel said:

its my wifes machine to use so clean-up was easy for me. I just gave har a random orbit sander, wd 40, and coarse scotch brite and told to get busy on the tables. I'll get some pictures tonight if my switch comes in.

Archived