Finished My Lathe Steady Rest

lew

Been wanting to have one of these for my lathe and finally got around to making it. Had almost everything lying around the shop. Scrap plywood ~ 17" x 48" and a piece ~ 10" x 10". Hardware is all 1/4 x 20 machine bolts/nuts and fender washers. I may replace the wing nuts with knobs to make it a little easier on old hands. The cam action hold down has been in my "extras box" for a couple of years waiting on a worthwhile project. Got it from Woodcraft. The wheels are from an $8 pair of In-Line Skates bought from Goodwill.

The "circle" is made of 3 layers of 3/4 plywood. The wheel holders are made of Maple. There is a Maple "guide" on the bottom of the base that helps trap the assembly between the lathe bed rails.

I works pretty well, the wheel holders need a little sanding and bees wax to allow them to slide a bit more freely. The base may be a bit too wide although my large tool rest can allow access to the edge of the turning.

ning-img-1624-18514-17.jpg?width=750

ning-img-1626-18514-42.jpg?width=750

ning-img-1627-18514-51.jpg?width=750

ning-img-1630-18514-59.jpg?width=750

ning-img-1633-18514-18.jpg?width=750

ning-img-1636-18514-21.jpg?width=750

ning-img-1638-18514-94.jpg?width=750

Thanks for looking! Comments are always welcome!

• 1 year later...

Thanks for all of the kind words!

To answer the questions-

Mike- It is really easy to center the wheels. I just load the work piece. Slide each wheel until it touches and lock down the sliding bar. When I built it, I started with a solid circle and marked the location of the centers based on the position of the steady rest setting on the ways.

John- Still using it! I did shorten the base plate to allow the tool rest and banjo to get closer to the wheels.

Ron- Thanks! Skates and skateboard wheels are really useful. I used them on the bottom of my drum sander for mobility. A set of in-line skates, at the thrift shop usually run between $5 and $8- so there's 8 wheels and bearing.

Mark- Izzy is the master of unique designs! This was just easier for me.

• 4 years later...