Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Come see our annual Adopt a Gold Star Family for Christmas Project in partnership with Operation Ward 57. We have been chosen to support this mother and her two children. How can you help? Click on the proceeding link, and see our official project page where you can learn how to participate in our raffle and how you can win some fantastic prizes! Attention on Deck!!! Uncle Sam Wants You!!!!

Sign in to follow this  
John Morris

Dadoes Are Sinking!

Woops!!!  I was cuttin dadoes on my side panels for the carcass of the upper cabinet and after a couple cuts the material sure was going through the dado blade really easy!!!

Well heck, I finally decided to check the cut and the danged dadoes went from 3/8" deep on the first cut to about a 1/8" deep on the consecutive cuts, come to find out I failed to tighten down the height adjustment wheel!!

I hate running them through again because your perfect fit is gone, but I did, and they seem to be a good fit to the upper and the floor board of the upper case.

Dado blades are heavy, and it just ran the height adjustment down while the motor was running.

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-11015-82.jpg?width=90

I hate that!

Made some panels once, from cheap Chinese ply. The pieces had a slight bow that I thought I pressed out when running them thru the saw. Didn't realize the change in depth, at the center, until I dry fitted the pieces. Chisel work! 

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host
Rolling Pin photo crop3_zps88fb0af9.jpg?width=100
Time Traveler and Purveyor of the Universe's Finest Custom Rolling Pins!

Oh Man!

John Moody
Site Administrator

John Moody Woodworks
http://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com

Been there done that one too Lew!!!! Thanks for feeling my pain! Luckily it was only a matter of re running em through. Hey could have been worse, could have removed the dado set up altogether!

Lewis Kauffman said:

I hate that!

Made some panels once, from cheap Chinese ply. The pieces had a slight bow that I thought I pressed out when running them thru the saw. Didn't realize the change in depth, at the center, until I dry fitted the pieces. Chisel work! 

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-11026-97.jpg?width=90

Made some panels once, from cheap Chinese ply. The pieces had a slight bow that I
thought
I pressed out when running

The way to handle warped ply like that is to build a special ZCI that bulges out of the saw by a sufficient amount to pick up the wood no matter the bow.

Lots of guys use bondo to get the mound in the middle of the ZCI.

Works a trice.

John,

You need a lighter dado set....or a table that moves up and down. HEE HEE

Gene
'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

My lil pea brain is trying to visualize this Cliff, if you are able to explain a tad deeper I'd appreciate it!

Cliff said:

Made some panels once, from cheap Chinese ply. The pieces had a slight bow that I
thought
I pressed out when running

The way to handle warped ply like that is to build a special ZCI that bulges out of the saw by a sufficient amount to pick up the wood no matter the bow.

Lots of guys use bondo to get the mound in the middle of the ZCI.

Works a trice.

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-11022-71.jpg?width=90

Ok Gene, now that makes a ton of sense! :) I knew I could come here for some sound advice! LOL

Gene Howe said:

John,

You need a lighter dado set....or a table that moves up and down. HEE HEE

Gene
'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-11021-39.jpg?width=90

Amen Paul!!!

Paul Corona said:

measure twice, cut once, tighten thrice !!!

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-11020-7.jpg?width=90

Shopsmith!

Still gotta tighten table though.

Titanium is lighter than steel....but for those frugal ones among us, aluminum.

Gene

I probably could have used a feather board mounter on a tall rip fence for some of the dados.

Your idea is great, if we could convince the Chinese to manufacture all the warps the same

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host

our idea is great, if we could convince the Chinese to manufacture all the warps the same

Well, they do.  Most warped boards fall within a predicable range. Plus the amount a board will set proud is also determined by the size of the cast iron surface which won't catch the whole board at any given time.

The gizmo works marvelously. Try it sometime.  It's easy to make. you can just use a glued on block of wood standing proud  by 3/8" or 1/2" or so depending on the wood. Then shave it to be shaped like a low mound providing the board easy entrance to the cut.

A mound is easier because you don't have any fuss getting the board started.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

We are a woodworking community with an emphasis on sharing and learning the skilled craft of woodworking and all of its related disciplines. Our community is open to everyone who wishes to join us. We support our veterans and active duty both here in the United States and in Canada, being a veteran is not a prerequisite to join. So please, join us! Please click on Join The Patriot Woodworker's.

We support MWTCA, preserving tools and implements from the past.

M-WTCA Logo.gif

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

Visit us on Facebook