20 inch Walker Turner Model 70-400 Drill Press Restoration Pics

"Back From The Archives:1897423278_OldManSmiley:"

I finally finished the restoration of this Walker Turner drill press. I restored this DP for a gentleman as payment for some machines that I got from him. You can read more about that here.

In my opinion the 20 inch Walker Turner is one of the best drill presses ever made and I wish it was mine. This one came with the production table, 1 hp 3 phase motor, and power-feed. It was in pretty rough shape when I brought it into the shop ... Ugly blue paint job and lots and lots of rust.

It's a floor model but as you can see in this pic I lowered the head so it wasn't so top heavy when transporting it.

994160.jpg

Disassembling the DP was a challenge. Everything was heavily rusted. To give you an idea of how bad it was, this is the inside of the gear box for raising and lowering the table. Rusted solid!

IMG_2220.jpg

I pulled off the motor, powerfeeder and spindle and then I used my old Hercules chain hoist to get the head off the column

993037.jpg

I then tried to get the table off, it was rusted solid to the column. It took a couple of weeks of soaking it with Acetone and ATF and lots of heat to finally get it to bust loose.

The base was even worse. No amount of heat, penetrating oil or banging with a BFH was getting the job done. I finally had to make a puller, or I guess you would call it a pusher, out of an old barbell weight and three ½" bolts to push it off. Even then it took about 2 weeks to get it to budge a 1/16 of an inch, but once I got it moving it came off fairly easily.

basepusher.JPG          

To get the rust and paint off I made an electrolysis tank and used a 30 inch saw blade for the anode.

spooge.JPG

I put the base in for a couple of days and let it cook ... it got rid of most of the paint and rust.

baseelectrolysis.JPG     

Next I used fine grit sand paper and scotch brite pads to shine it up.

Then I finished removing the rest of the rust and old paint and prepped it for fresh paint.

basestrip.JPG

Three coats of paint and it was looking good as new.

basepaint.JPG

I used the same steps to clean up the head and table.

Head.JPG

table.JPG

The powerfeeder wasn't working when I first tried it. I took it apart and found a couple of the clutch discs were in wrong. It was then working but when I cleaned it up I found a couple busted gears. I informed the owner about it and he decided he didn't want it repaired so the powerfeeder didn't get put back on.

The owner doesn't have 3 phase power in his shop so I added a Teco FM50 VFD.

Now the motor will run on single phase 120 v power and the VFD also gives it variable speed which I really like.

So here's some pics of the DP all restored.

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2349.jpg

The DP looks and works great .... now I don't want to give it back to it's owner.

Thanks for looking,

Shane

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Shane,

As always, a superior restoration!

Please talk to us about polishing the base and table.

What grit emery cloth?  What color Scotch Brite pads?  Orbital tool or Pad tool?  And, probably the most important question, how long to do the base as an example.  I cannot seem to get to that level of polish and shine.

Ray

Edited by Larry Buskirk

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Man oh Man.. I found this site because of this thread about your drill press... What an amazing job! I have the Walker Turner 1100 Drill Press, about ten years older.  I recently "upgraded" the motor mount to the later model like yours, with the quick belt release.

My Table elevator looked exactly the same inside!  Remarkable amount of gunk in there. I don't know how you found this, but the upper bearing retainer, above the spindle pulley, was a BEAR to remove, to change the belt. I had to drill and tap holes in the top of it, and use bolts to draw the retainer up, while muscling it back and forth with a channel locks!  Ugh!

Mine was repainted a green color by a high school.  I cannot WAIT to repaint it a nice gray, but can't justify the time on it yet, working so perfectly, until I get my shop more cleaned up from a move!!

Thanks for posting all the pics too! 

Bernie

Edited by Larry Buskirk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...