Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Come see our annual Adopt a Gold Star Family for Christmas Project in partnership with Operation Ward 57. We have been chosen to support this mother and her two children. How can you help? Click on the proceeding link, and see our official project page where you can learn how to participate in our raffle and how you can win some fantastic prizes! Attention on Deck!!! Uncle Sam Wants You!!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Fred Wilson

Scrolling Tips and Tricks - #1 - 1/7/2014 - Blade Alignment

To start the "Tips and Tricks" off on a good note, I thought of what basics we should all be aware of and some tips to make the best cuttings we can.

Remember, guys and gals, there is NO right or wrong answer to any of our topics.  What best works for you is the way it should be.  That being said, I think we can always learn a little from our fellow scrollers.  Please chime in with your suggestions of your ways of doing things.  It will always be appreciated by all.

BLADE ALIGNMENT

We all realize that the blade should be perpendicular to the table unless we are doing angle cuts.

Great blade alignment is "required" in stack cutting (which we discuss later).

What we don't normally check is front to back alignment, "fore/aft" movement of the blade, and "wobble".  Let's take them one at a time and see what we can come up with.

LEFT/RIGHT ALIGNMENT

• I have seen several ways, over the years.  Most of them work pretty well.
  • I use a machinest's right angle to set my blades.  However, for some reason, this doesn't always work on my machine.
  • Cut into a block of wood, back it out of the kerf, move the cut to the back of the blade and see it lines up.
  • Using a scrap piece of 3/4" stock, cut a piece out, then move the cut side to the opposite side of the blade and see if it is aligned.
  • Cut a small circle out of 3/4" stock and see if the bottom and the top of the hole are the same size.

FORE AND AFT ALIGNMENT

• I generally use the machinest square for this one.

BLADE WOBBLE

• This is when the blade moves either left or right from the top to the bottom of the cut.
  • Problem could be either rails bent, misalignment of machine, or as simple as alignment in the blade holders.
  • Need much more help on this one.

YOUR IDEAS ? ? ? ? ? ??

The Eclipse scroll saw is the only saw that I know of that has solved the above problems.  This saw design has gone back to some "ole timey" machines.  Belt driven, with a "perfectly aligned" plunger system.

Fred
aka Pop's Shop
www.pops-shop.com
'Soooooo many patterns - sooooo little time'
Scroll Saw Forum Host
'Stop complaining about the storm and learn to dance in the rain.'

For me

LEFT/RIGHT I use a block of wood 1 1/2 tall. Mark a cut tine with a square and cut into it maybe 1/2". Back out the kerf and compare it to the back side of the blade. If you have trouble seeing the cut, fill it with white chalk, black blades stand against this back ground very well. This is most accurate if you joint the top and bottom of the test piece before cutting into it.

FORE/AFT I prefer to use the machinist square only. Not normally an adjustment I have to worry about till I start stack cutting, then this becomes more delicate and critical.

Blade Wobble The only way I know to check it is using a dial indicator mounted on a block and fastened to the table with a clamp. You have to operate the blade through its up and down cycle by hand which is a royal pain in the seat cushions if your drive motor is hard to get through. You have to unplug the saw to be on the safe side of course. I check mine maybe once a year for this. Unless I am having some type of issue.

Wayne Mahler
God bless and protect our troops that serve so we can be free.

Wayne - forgot about the dial indicator - great idea - and thanks for the input.

Fred
aka Pop's Shop
www.pops-shop.com
Scroll Saw Forum Host

These are great nuggets, guys. 

Thanks.

Gene
'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Gene - I think the initial Tips and Tricks thread is a success.  Over 80 views of the thread with one alternative.  That, folks, is the intention of this series.  Thanks.

Look for us again, next week.

Fred
aka Pop's Shop
www.pops-shop.com
Scroll Saw Forum Host

Fred,

I find this comment rather interesting.

"The Eclipse scroll saw is the only saw that I know of that has solved the above problems.  This saw design has gone back to some "ole timey" machines.  Belt driven, with a "perfectly aligned" plunger system."

Sounds like a bit of history repeats itself.

Larry

Old Woodworking Machinery Forum Host

LMAO   B)

Sign in to follow this  

About us

We are a woodworking community with an emphasis on sharing and learning the skilled craft of woodworking and all of its related disciplines. Our community is open to everyone who wishes to join us. We support our veterans and active duty both here in the United States and in Canada, being a veteran is not a prerequisite to join. So please, join us! Please click on Join The Patriot Woodworker's.

We support MWTCA, preserving tools and implements from the past.

M-WTCA Logo.gif

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

Visit us on Facebook