Lift-Out Tote for Tool Chest

steven newman

While the sliding tray is .....Ok, I wanted a second one that I could carry to the work site. Needed to have a tote. One with a handle in the middle. Picked up an UGLY plank of 1x10 pine

ning-imag0001-4734-72.jpg?width=750

Handsome, ain't he? Figured i could get at least a few pieces out of it. Measured the space for the tote. 25" long, and abot 6-1/2" wide was available, thanks to a backsaw's tote sticking up. Picked out one area for the bottom slab, and two more for piece work. At 6-1/2" wide I neede to slim down the 9-1/2" wide plank for a bottom of the tray. Had an old jig, measure where the blade on the circular saw wound up at, and the outside edge of the sole. Clamped the jig in place to rip off the excess wood

ning-imag0006-4734-10.jpg?width=750

Just have to keep the saw's sole against the jig, cuts nice and straight. Grabbed a Wards #78 and made a few rebates ( rabbets to you southern folks)

ning-imag0011-4734-63.jpg?width=750

This one is on the end of the bottom piece. needed to go around all four edges on it. Ripped two more boards @ 25" long, by 3-1/2" wide. These were to be the sides. Had a third one ripped a bit wider, for the handle. The first two got a rebate on each end. Counter-bored some holes with a thumbnail-killing 3/8" Forstner bit ( got the nail, but no blood) and installed the sides. Measured two 1x4 pine pieces for the ends. Cut to length, and then laid out a stopped dado.

ning-imag0014-4734-38.jpg?width=750

Had to make sure the other was a mirror image of the first. Dados will house the handle piece. Sawed the waste a bit, then chopped the rest out with a couple chisels. One was done, and installed. Needed to find out the height I needed for the ends of the handle. And the final length. Cut to length, then laid out a handle. Finger hole area was done with a 1-3/8" forstner bit, overlapping the hole. Sabresaw cut the rest of the handle out, and then a 3/8" round-over bit in the

router to smooth thing up

ning-imag0018-4734-9.jpg?width=750

Yeah, yeah, got a bit of an over-cut. Take a good long look, this is about the last time this tote will ever be empty. Handle is just housed, no glue or screws hold it in place. Just the two dados. And now, this is what happens when something empty is placed into the Tool Chest

ning-imag0019-4734-49.jpg?width=750

Two full trays. the tote can be lifted right out, to access the tools underneath. And, wonder of wonders

ning-imag0020-4734-2.jpg?width=750

The lid will even close! igor needs to use the broom for something besides flying around. Used a few planes to clean up the boards

ning-imag0009-4734-77.jpg?width=750

A Jack plane at work. Ohio Tool Co. ( of Auburn NY) #05c and another smaller plane

ning-imag0010-4734-61.jpg?width=750

A WWII era Wards Master #3, cleaning up after the Jack plane. As for that second coat of varnish

ning-imag0003-4734-60.jpg?width=750

This is while I was rubbing things out. Took two people to get this onto the floor. Needed the bench to work on a few things, I could have got it down, but I wanted it in one piece....Weighs as much as I do

• 4 years later...