Jewelry Chest Finally Done!

Gene Howe

Maple and walnut. 24" tall 15" wide and 7" deep.

All joints are Mortise and Tenon joint has been used for thousands of years by woodworkers around the world to join pieces of wood, mainly when the adjoining pieces connect at an angle of 90°. In its basic form it is both simple and strong. Although there are many joint variations, the basic mortise and tenon comprises two components: the mortise hole and the tenon tongue. The tenon, formed on the end of a member generally referred to as a rail, is inserted into a square or rectangular hole cut into the corresponding member. The tenon is cut to fit the mortise hole exactly and usually has shoulders that seat when the joint fully enters the mortise hole. The joint may be glued, pinned, or wedged to lock it in place">M&T.

Sanded to 180, 3 coats of matte poly, each roughed with a white mesh pad and final finish rubbed out with Liberon #0000 SW and paste wax.

ning-chest1-4522-80.jpg

Drawers are lined with the same purple felt as the wings. Wrapped cereal box card board and dropped it in and glued them. Top drawer is fitted with ring holders. A piece of 3/8 thick dense foam with knife silts. The felt was laid over the top and slid into the slits with a steel ruler.

The dot is a 3/8 rare earth magnet that catches the metal piece robbed from a push-to-open magnetic catch.

ning-chest2-4522-85.jpg

The wings for studs and pins are felt covered Mortise and Tenon joint has been used for thousands of years by woodworkers around the world to join pieces of wood, mainly when the adjoining pieces connect at an angle of 90°. In its basic form it is both simple and strong. Although there are many joint variations, the basic mortise and tenon comprises two components: the mortise hole and the tenon tongue. The tenon, formed on the end of a member generally referred to as a rail, is inserted into a square or rectangular hole cut into the corresponding member. The tenon is cut to fit the mortise hole exactly and usually has shoulders that seat when the joint fully enters the mortise hole. The joint may be glued, pinned, or wedged to lock it in place">M&T frames. Four per side. They swivel on 1/8" by 1/2" brass pins. Wife and I had to align all 8 to holes in the top at the same time and, then fit the top on the tenons cut in the sides and the dado for the back. Took us well over an hour.

The top is screwed on and the screws counter bores are covered with walnut pegs from Rockler. 

Not shown are six 1" long brass pegs across the inside top, behind the wings, for necklaces.

ning-chest3-4522-27.jpg

This was one major PITA for me. But, I learned a number of new techniques, learned some new combinations of cuss words, built a few jigs and best of all, bought a couple new planes needed to complete it. I'm sure the next three will be easier.(Fingers crossed!!!!)

Thanks guys, for your kind words.

Cliff, any excuse for new tools, right? Actually, only one is new, the other ones are flea bay finds. One just came in today. All the way from Saskatoon. A little late, but it'll come in handy on the next 3. And I stand by my first observation. It really was a HUGE PITA!

Ron, I shamelessly copied it from a picture in some magazine I was reading at the the VA clinic. I WISH I'd had plans!!!

Gene, you done outdone yourself on this one! Worthy of a magazine shoot it is!!! Absolutely beautiful sir, and like Larry said, right on with the paste wax!!!! I love using Liberon.

So what did I miss, I know somewhere down the road you told us but if I could get the history again, you have three more to make? Family or customers?

Thanks, Larry. The Liberon and JPW has been the wife's and my choice of final rub out for many years. I think a furniture maker friend of ours told us about it sometime in the '80s.

Thanks, Wayne. The new-to-me planes may lure me over to the dark side, yet.

Thanks, John. One for my other sister, one for our present DIL, one for our soon to be DIL and none for the little boy who cries in the lane.

John, you'll recall I was asking the group about the easiest goof proof way to inlay the walnut strips on the doors? Well, I accidentally stumbled on a real no brainer method. The panel's tongues were cut 1/4" longer than the depth of the grooves in the rail and stiles. The resulting gap was filled with a walnut strip.

• 4 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2014 at 10:47 AM, Gene Howe said:

Drawers are lined with the same purple felt as the wings. Wrapped cereal box card board and dropped it in and glued them.

Made a couple of jewelry box and did nothing but fight the lining. Thanks for the solution, great tip. 

I wish when you guys post a long outdated post of something great to go ahead and post the things with the current date. I sat here making all kinds of nice comments only to find it was posted way back in 2014. Even wanted to offer the wife lots of pain free years even though she has to put up with you know who!!!

Edited by Smallpatch

Jess, a post is a post, still relevant today, as are your comments. Just the same as if any member comments on an old topic in any forum. The date should not matter, the chest is still as beautiful today as it was a few years ago. I may be missing something though, as I usually am, gotta hit me upside the head sometimes Jess.