Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Come see our annual Adopt a Gold Star Family for Christmas Project in partnership with Operation Ward 57. We have been chosen to support this mother and her two children. How can you help? Click on the proceeding link, and see our official project page where you can learn how to participate in our raffle and how you can win some fantastic prizes! Attention on Deck!!! Uncle Sam Wants You!!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Ron Dudelston

At Last the Job is Finished

I recently bid a job to build in cabinets in a back kitchen of a house that was built in 1874.  I bid the job way high because I really didn't want to do it.  Unfortunately, the customer (who is a friend of mine) accepted the bid.  The house has 10 ft. ceilings and the outside wall was out of plumb about 3/4" top to bottom.  I custom built two 45" x 23 1/4" x 24 deep raised panel cabinets to go in a nook over the refrigerator, a 10" wide broom closet and built in the range.  Here's the before pictures.

ning-100-4258-4277-75.jpg?width=750

ning-100-4259-4277-24.jpg?width=750

Here's the after pictures.

ning-100-4277-4277-63.jpg?width=750

ning-100-4280-4277-20.jpg?width=750

ning-100-4279-4277-37.jpg?width=750

Ron Dudelston
Site Administrator

Above and Beyond WoodWorks

Isn't that shabby Harry?  The entire room needs re-papered and hopefully they'll re-finish the trim while they're at it.  That window gave me fits.  The sill at the bottom sticks out so far that I had to made a wide stile on the broom closet and the to was the same.  In fact, I actually took the upper window trim off and trimmed 3/8 of an inch off the back to help the door to open fully.  A real pain.

Ron Dudelston
Site Administrator

Looks Great, Ron! I like the broom closet idea. Refrigerator openings can be a real bear. I redid our kitchen about 15 years ago and made all the openings as per "appliance specs". Just recently we had to replace the refrigerator- there was no spare room on either side!

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host
Rolling Pin photo crop3_zps88fb0af9.jpg?width=100
Time Traveler and Purveyor of the Universe's Finest Custom Rolling Pins!

Ron,

The built ins look great!

Gotta love the old houses, ours predates 1870. (Town Hall burned July 1870 house predates existing records)

Square, maybe~level, yea right~plumb, are you kidding?

ning-pullinghair-4288-88.gif

ning-dizzy-4288-29.gif

ning-coveringeyes-4288-13.gif

Larry

ning-oldmansmiley-4288-31.gif

Old Woodworking Machinery Forum host

I know what you're talking about, Ron. We have a 100 + old house and trying to fit anything together is the pits. Really makes me think on how I'm doing things.

Harry Brink
Bulldog Woodworking
Montana

Verrrrry nice, Ron.

Gene
'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Great job Ron. Looks really good.

I understand about older houses. Ours was built in 1926 and if there is a square corner I have yet to find it, other the my bathroom, I gutted it and redid the whole room. Sort of looks out of place being square and plumb.

Wayne Mahler
God bless and protect our troops that serve so we can be free.

Outstanding Ron!!!! Great job, nice and clean and professional, geez, it looks like you done this before?

I know what you mean about the sill Ron, I have had jobs like that too where you just have to go :unorthodox" to make it fit and work. Sometimes there are no way around it.

I love it, great job mate!

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-4284-88.jpg?width=90

I got my experience from renovating our kitchen in 2012.  New cabinets, countertop, etc.  At least I made money on this one instead of spending money.

John Morris said:

Outstanding Ron!!!! Great job, nice and clean and professional, geez, it looks like you done this before?

I know what you mean about the sill Ron, I have had jobs like that too where you just have to go :unorthodox" to make it fit and work. Sometimes there are no way around it.

I love it, great job mate!

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-4283-42.jpg?width=90

Making money is fun!!!!!

Ron Dudelston said:

I got my experience from renovating our kitchen in 2012.  New cabinets, countertop, etc.  At least I made money on this one instead of spending money.

John Morris said:

Ron Dudelston
Site Administrator

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-4282-76.jpg?width=90

looks nice,and BOY do i know about not sqaure houses,mine is the same way,redid our kitchen,and back room,found out ,the last owners took out support wall in backroom,(wondered why ceilin bowed some),

take Life slowly,no reason to speed,it will be there when u get there,slow down an smell the trees an fresh cut wood

Great job Ron! Wow, you guys really made a huge difference in that kitchen. I love it. Excellent workmanship.

John Moody
Site Administratorning-johnmoodywoodworkslogo2-4280-34.jpghttp://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com
“Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful.†Shaker Saying

Thanks for the kind comments folks!

Ron Dudelston
Site Administrator

Sign in to follow this  

About us

We are a woodworking community with an emphasis on sharing and learning the skilled craft of woodworking and all of its related disciplines. Our community is open to everyone who wishes to join us. We support our veterans and active duty both here in the United States and in Canada, being a veteran is not a prerequisite to join. So please, join us! Please click on Join The Patriot Woodworker's.

We support MWTCA, preserving tools and implements from the past.

M-WTCA Logo.gif

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

Visit us on Facebook