Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Come see our annual Adopt a Gold Star Family for Christmas Project in partnership with Operation Ward 57. We have been chosen to support this mother and her two children. How can you help? Click on the proceeding link, and see our official project page where you can learn how to participate in our raffle and how you can win some fantastic prizes! Attention on Deck!!! Uncle Sam Wants You!!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Ron Altier

My first spoon

ning-spoon-4066-81.jpgI thought I'd try to make a wooden spoon. I gathered some scrap Cherry and yellow hart and came up with this one. My wife didn't care for it because of the size and shape of the end scoop. She wanted a flat one. Oh well, my daughter loved it.

My next one will be better now that I have done one. Most was done on the lathe and some on the small band saw. The finish is mineral oil and is not quite dry yet

I like it! These are fun to make but I still have not perfected shaping the "bowl". Mine are always too primitive>

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host
Rolling Pin photo crop3_zps88fb0af9.jpg?width=100
Time Traveler and Purveyor of the Universe's Finest Custom Rolling Pins!

Very nice. Something I keep thinking about doing, and just not getting around to it.

John Moody
Site Administratorning-johnmoodywoodworkslogo2-4071-83.jpghttp://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com
“Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful.†Shaker Saying

It's a scoopin spoon for sure Ron!!! I love it!!! How did you mount the handle to the scoop?

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-4070-56.jpg?width=90

When it was still a block of wood, I drilled a hole for the handle. I had it all marked for center, etc. Then used double face tape to mount it for turning

John Morris said:

It's a scoopin spoon for sure Ron!!! I love it!!! How did you mount the handle to the scoop?

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-4069-31.jpg?width=90

Since I am new at turning Ron, are saying you turned this scoop by only mounting it with double side sticky tape to the faceplate?

Ron Altier said:

When it was still a block of wood, I drilled a hole for the handle. I had it all marked for center, etc. Then used double face tape to mount it for turning

John Morris said:

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-4068-49.jpg?width=90

The double face taklpe is remarkable and holds really great. You can get it at big box and is usually wrapped in blue.

You MUST clamp your pieces together for about 10 minutes. Don't take big bites and you shoud do OK

John Morris said:

Since I am new at turning Ron, are saying you turned this scoop by only mounting it with double side sticky tape to the faceplate?

Ron Altier said:

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-4067-24.jpg?width=90

Sign in to follow this  

About us

We are a woodworking community with an emphasis on sharing and learning the skilled craft of woodworking and all of its related disciplines. Our community is open to everyone who wishes to join us. We support our veterans and active duty both here in the United States and in Canada, being a veteran is not a prerequisite to join. So please, join us! Please click on Join The Patriot Woodworker's.

We support MWTCA, preserving tools and implements from the past.

M-WTCA Logo.gif

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

Visit us on Facebook