The Art of Violin Making

9780709058762_p0_v1_s600x595.jpgFor the past few weeks I have been completely engrossed in a book "The Art of Violin Making". Been reading it every night, pouring over the text, and the images, it is a wonderful book that starts off with the history of the violin, the main characters or makers, and of course, eventually a quarter of the way through the book, you get to the actual making of the violin. I love this book, my interest is completely peaked, and I want to make a violin in a big way. I have my violinist daughter encouraging me on my way as well.

I have one burning question thus far. I have read in depth about the early makers from Amati, Stradivari, Guarneri, and Stainer. They all used Amati's designs and styles in way or another, and etc etc. It's a great book, so back to my burning question. There is no place in this book that states if these greats ever played a single note on the violin, if they ever slid the bow across a single string. From what I could read, they depended wholly on the feedback of the artists who purchased their violins.

So, my question to you is, can you come up with any research, googled, or otherwise, that declares that any of the greats mentioned above, actually played the violin.

It's amazing, I have this wonderful book, and again, no where does it state they ever played a violin, or any other stringed instrument.

I know if I spent some time I could find the answer, but I just thought it'd be a fun discussion to kick around here.

Back to my new thirst for making a violin, it looks incredibly fun, and a complete challenge. Not a single powered tool is needed, obviously, nor is a single powered tool used even by the great makers of today, but they may use a band saw to re-saw their logs for the tops or backs. Beyond that, it's all hand work, I love it.

Woodworking, in a big way.

I only did a quick Google search John.

I am sure your read this link

were it says he could have been a woodworker before he word as an apprentice in making the violins. Possibly he decorated them when inlays before he actually started making them.

Could be some interesting research. Hey you could always be the first to make one and not play and be in the history books.

• 3 years later...

I built a Harp for a musician that wanted me to. I have never picked up or played any musical instrument in my life. We did,the musician and I ,spend several sessions together after it was built revising certain aspects of it before he was happy with the sounds it played. So then I made one for myself just for a conversation piece in my living room.

I think David Falkner makes Guitars.

Herb

If anyone could do it, you could, John. You have the determination when you set your mind to it. look what you have done with this web site,it is humming right along. With the help of your talented daughter you could make a violin , she could do the testing,you do the wood working,and who knows maybe she would pick up on the woodworking as well and carry on the business.

Herb

I think I saw a video with all 4 of them playing! It was for a fundraiser for Christopher Columbus to find a quicker route to the West Indies! Of course I believe it was Abe Lincoln that said you can’t believe everything you see on the internet. LOL On a serious note I would love to follow the progress of the violin if you choose to accept the challenge. To my inexperienced eyes, this would seem a project that transcends woodworking.  

• 1 year later...