Sign in to follow this  
Mark Wilson

Shop Electricity Issue

Rate this topic

Well for a few weeks now I've been having a issue with my electrical wiring in my shop. When I used my table saw I could use it . But if I turned on the dust collector with it the breaker with flip off. If I used more than one thing at a time same effect. So I needed to have someone to come and put in a 220 outlet anyways so that I could use my new band saw. The guy I hired found that some of my old wiring was going bad and shorting out. So we ran a line from the house into my shop and installed a breaker box in my shop . Replaced most of the wiring because the guy who lived here before didn't have them grounded and some were really old and bad. So now hopefully I can get some woodworking done without tripping the breaker. Only thing is I probably don't want to see the bill from the electrician .

Wow Mark. It sounds like you have avoided a fire or a serious shock. It may be expensive but was clearly the right thing to do.

Getting someone that knows what they are doing is worth the price. It might seem expensive now, but what could have happened could have cost a lot more.

Glad you got it cleared up.

I had to re-wire my shop when I bought my place. The person that ran the circuits used black as the hot sometimes and white as the hot others. The best thing was pull it all out and start over.

Now you can really enjoy those new tools.

no how you feel,still trying to find electrician to redo our house,myself i can do wiring but would need to call 911,for them to get me down out of attic,haha,but i hea done the wiring in my shop is great to have a Dad who was a Electrician and showed me how to do it.

I'm blessed that my father was an electrical contractor. Electricity and wiring is second nature to me. Sometimes it's a curse and sometimes it's a blessing.

I had a house in MASS that was still wired with Peg and Post. There was a really bad ground fault in it somewhere that made a large hanging loop of wire heat up to glowing in the attic. Over the years the heat had caused it to hang lower and lower and of course as the loads increased over the years the heat increased too.

Imagine my surprise when I was in the attic one evening and I saw a reddish stripe looping in the dimly lit space.