HA HA HA HA Festertool on sale

Cliff

At woodcraft. They are off 10%

Must be bad times in the big green plant where they take the whole month of august off each year.

See the Caddilac ad.

I remember still, my first  exposure to those people.  I'd been on  forums where Festertool owners marched like angry warriors on Jihad whenever anyone dared to question the sacred tools.  Actually I was flummoxed at the brand loyalty.  I mean it's just a friggin company that makes tools, not the second coming - - or is it?  After a while I figured it was like Stockholm syndrome where people who pay two and three times a thing's worth will defend their decision to the death, or something like that anyway.

But I digress - - - -

My first exposure to the actual people from Germany  who make and sell the stuff.  That's what I'm talking about.   Don't mind me it's the second childhood talking. 

The experience put me off the brand for life.  Really. I decided then and there that I wasn't paying for their bleedin' stinkin' 6 months of vacation, not then, not ever.

How did this horrible tragic life changing event transpire?

I dared the un-darable. I asked for a Show Discount.  I was looking at their EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLAR router.  I was about to become a mindless zombie - - a pod person.

But fate stepped in and saved me from my momentary lapse of common sense.

You'd have thought I said unspeakable things about the guy's mother after showing him the pictures I took while doing them to her.  Really he became incensed and  mustered his snottiest  I- am-the Master-Race-I-am-better-than-you  attitude and with shaming contempt dripping from every word informed me that the great and mighty Festertool NEVER gives show or any other discount. 

OK. I was thinking of  some really choice rejoinder, but decided that the better part of valor is not to get in the mud with idiots.  So I just left him picking picking his router up off the floor where I  dropped it.

I wonder if it broke.

On the topic of unrealistically expensive tools:

Mirka Ceros

I can't tell you how many times I have almost plunked the 4 or 5 hunert dollahs to get one

However I have figured a way to halve the cost.  Haven't done it yet  and dunno that I will but it's doable

There are a gozillion You tube videos on how to re use a computer ATX power supply unit (PSU).  You  only need 400 watts and many  PSUs comer in higher watt output which is fine as the motor will only draw what it needs.

You can arrange and combine the output wires from the PSU to produce various voltages  you only need 22 VDC.

So I believe that a  600 - 750 watt PSU rigged to out out 22 VDC  will do the trick.

I'm one of those "fools" who have let Festool separate me from my money. So far I haven't regretted it.

Both hamburger and steak do the same job (fill the belly) it's just depends on your taste and budget.

Don't you think it's rather rude to someone names because of how they spend "THEIR" money.

Just saying

Somewhere in Kenya.... a village is missing its idiot!

Alaskans for Gobble Warming.

I don't think he really intended to apply that  word to  Festertool owners in any personal sense.  It's just a saying.

But still, I think it's fair to say that we are all fools  for something or other.

Take the Lilly Pultzer cloths I buy my grand daughters knowing full well that they won't fit in a few months.  Tell me that's not the definition of insane.  Go ahead. Try.

hockey sticks, I'm thinking of buying an Expen-O-licious PM  352B lathe and my lathe skills are - - - well - - horrible.  I'll prolly be on a parallel to those ancient crepuscular old biddies who could never drive well, but who, with their ugly old money, are tooling around in the slickest Mercedes Benze Sports Coups that money can buy.  

Partly it's because some idiot part of my mind insists that If I get that gizmo, that some how I'll be turning out stuff like  Malcom Tibbits with the  very afternoon I set it up.   Yah maybe it'll make me better 'n Tibbits. Way far better'n him.

At  least the PM guy won't invest his energy to  insult me as an inducement to buy.

I apologize Richard. It certainly wasn't intended to insult anyone. I'm sure Festool's tools fit well in a professional shop.

The saying definitely applies to me as well. And, I can't say I haven't been tempted by one or two of Festool's offerings. They are nice but beyond the needs of a hobbyist like me.

Again, I'm sorry. No offense intended.

Gene
'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

At some  point I said I would never spend that to own on either. I still don't have one, but I have change a bit since I started purchasing tools. I spent money on a mortising machine that doesn't even have any chisels and it was made in the early 1900's. Will probably never be more than a conversation piece. I sure my friends will have some comment to make when they leave about why he spent money on that and can't even use it.

Rich, I like the hamburger - steak analogy. I started out with some pretty cheap tools and as I have had the money, I have upgraded to more expensive tools.

So who knows, one day I may even have on of those Green tools in my shop. I sure remember Keedy liking his after he got it.

John Moody
Site Administratorning-johnmoodywoodworkslogo2-1496-70.jpghttp://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com
“Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful.†Shaker Saying

Archived