Rust Hunting: Day 3

steven newman

Oh yeah, still some things left out there

Ok, we had a couple branches from that Tulip tree hit the house, and messing with the shingles up there.  So, one of the items I was looking for was a saw to do some trimming withning-imag0121-1277-67.jpg?width=750Ah...yep, I just MIGHT have found one?   The other saw is a 26" long POS parts saw i threw in with the BIG saw.    Just for it's bolts.   ning-imag0122-1277-51.jpg?width=750Well, I took off the extra handle, and removed the wing nut & single bolt holding the handle on.  The idea was to remove the handle and sand all the rust off.   First off, the "bolts" on the parts saw were like rivets, they just slide together.   Second, look at the holes.  The one off by itself on the blade is for the helper handle.  The other three are for a tote handle, .....other than the one that is on it now.  Well, plan B is to drill two new holes and use the three bolts anyway.   Saw still has plenty of set to them BIG teeth.   IF I can get the rest of the rust off, I can rebuild this saw.   As for the rest of the parts saw?   Trash can. 

Part of this $10 "deal" was a small eggbeater style drill.   Solid wood handle.....and the drive gears frozen in place.  Would NOT even hint at moving.    That drill went to the rehab center for a bit of disassembly, wire wheels, and new oil.   Everything cleaned up and moving quite nicely nowning-imag0125-1277-43.jpg?width=750Interesting drill.   Works nice, though.  Name on the gear is "G.M. CO MFG INC L.V. City NY.   Hmmm.

Oh and that chuck sitting there?   Seems I went for a walkout....about three blocks.   Found a store with a few goodies ( more about THAT in a moment)ning-imag0126-1277-65.jpg?width=750That end cap has a metal ferrel, but the rest is all wood.   $8 + tax for an 8" brace.   derusted it before this photo.   ning-imag0127-1277-56.jpg?width=750Thinking about a paint job on the eggbeater.  

Now, about them "Goodies" I found. There was a second brace...mch worse than this one.   A few LARGE Handscrews clamps ($17 -$20 each)  A Stanley trans priced @ $2 per inch of length ($35)

and a table.....full of wood bodied Jointah Planes.   Each had a "feature" to it.   Some had a few cracks, some had no wedge, some had the wedge..but no iron....of the nine sitting there only one, maybe two were decent.   i suppose I could have mixed and matched to get a prize, but then i'd have to carry it on the LONG walk back home.  BTW, each of those nine were $20, regardless of how they looked.  PASS. 

Walked back home, did a little cleaning, and called it a good weekend...

Planer? I'm the 'planer', and these are what I use...

Nice Score!

I have a one man cross cut saw just like that one. Had the teeth reset for an extra wide kerf. We used it it cut holes in the ice so we could go Scuba diving in the winter.

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host
Rolling Pin photo crop3_zps88fb0af9.jpg?width=100
Time Traveler and Purveyor of the Universe's Finest Custom Rolling Pins!

ning-cold-1279-37.gifThanks Lew,

I needed that!

Larry

ning-oldmansmiley-1279-80.gifOld Woodworking Machinery Forum Host

Lewis Kauffman said:

Nice Score!

I have a one man cross cut saw just like that one. Had the teeth reset for an extra wide kerf. We used it it cut holes in the ice so we could go Scuba diving in the winter.

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host
Rolling Pin photo crop3_zps88fb0af9.jpg?width=100
Time Traveler and Purveyor of the Universe's Finest Custom Rolling Pins!

Now I have to lean to sharpen that big saw.   Has four pointy teeth, then a double toothed one.   I THINk the double is a raker, but not sure.    It does have some set to it.   Enough to cut a limb from a tree.   Resting up today, was a very BUSY three day Rust Hunt.....

Planer? I'm the 'planer', and these are what I use...

Archived