Wednesday's Wisdom For Woodtuners Aug 20 2014

lew

Been a busy week in the shop but not too much wood turning. A friend asked if I would show/sell some stuff at his church's event. Seems they are looking for some vendors to attract folks to the event. I have never done anything like this but if it helps his church, I'm game. My biggest problem- as with most hobby woodworkers- is fairly pricing my stuff.

Anyway, I've made some small (5 x 7) laminated cheese board. Have some bottle stoppers and of course the old standby- rolling pins. I needed to make some more rolling pin wall holders so that's where I'm at now.

Lots of neat stuff for Turners arrived this week- so @Cliff- listen up!!!

First, I've read from several sources, that Woodturning Design magazine will cease to exist. The parent company, All American Crafts, declared bankruptcy a week or so ago. I checked their site and it is still up, but if you were thinking of subscribing, maybe you should hold off a bit.

Next, David Reed Smith posted a really neat project on turning earrings. As with all his post, he goes into great detail on making jigs and the turning process.

ning-fig33completedearrings-376-30.jpg?w

Here's the link to the complete article-

http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/Earrings/Earrings.html

If you have some younger children around, or you're just a big kid yourself, Tim Yoder shows us how to turn a "String Top Toy"-

Easy Wood Tools has added another super tool to their turning arsenal. The Easy Parting Tool. This is sure to be a welcome addition to any turners collection of go to tools. Although I haven't personally had an opportunity to try this particular tool, I have used and own some of their other turning tools and they are second to none! Check it out here- http://www.easywoodtools.com/easy-parting-tool-products-page/

ning-partingtoolimagewithnewhandle-376-8

If you plan on turning acrylics (or dense wood), here's another option, instead of the micro mesh pads.

ning-dr-kir-mic-mag-pol-wax-kit-376-25.j

A three part polishing system that seems to be receiving pretty good reviews.

Dr. Kirk's Micro Magic Polishing Wax 3 Piece Set.

Safe Turning!

Great information Lew. Best of luck at the show. I know it is difficult but put a price on it you think it is worth. It is always easier to dicker and come down than to go up.

Sorry to hear we are loosing a turning magazine. But glad to know about it so I don't renew.

And just a note, I too love the Easy Wood Tools. I have a couple of them and they are top notch. I will have to take a look at this new addition and figure out how to get it into the shop.

• 3 years later...