Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Awhile back, picked a Scioto works #8 coffin style smooth plane at an antique toy store.    Missing a bolt to hold the iron and chipbreaker together.   Missing the strike button on the backside.   

So, Found a tap that was close to the size i needed to make a new thread in the chipbreaker.   Turned out to be a 10-1.5 Metric plug tap.    Ok, we have the matching bolts at work.    Brought one home that I found on the floor.   It came out of the shelving system they use.    Takes a 6mm allen wrench to loosen.

Ground the head down a bit, to almost flat.   And still leave a bit for the wrench to grab into.  Shorten the threaded part a bunch.   had to clear the wedge.    Sharpened the iron  back up, adjust the chip-breaker for a better fit.

ning-imag0186-148-48.jpg?width=750

Beltsander and sandpaper on a tile to sharpen the iron.   A look at the back side

ning-imag0187-148-98.jpg?width=750

Soaked the wood body in a BLO/ Varnish/ Walnut stain mix.....about ten coats.    Wood was VERY dried out.   Markings on  the iron are from Ohio Tool Co.    Thistle Brand Made in USA
Took a handplane to the sole for a tune up. nise was worn quite a bit.   Got the sole nice and flat, and gave it a coatning-imag0185-148-21.jpg?width=750

Yep, there is a crack in the heel.    Right where the missing strike button USED to be.   Guess that is why it is AWOL.    Decided to make something to take it's place.    Didn't like the idea of a carriage bolt stuck up in there.   Didn't have a big enough bolt, so, a washer of sorts was made, and a smaller bolt added.    Filled the hole with glue, and tapped the parts in placening-imag0184-148-27.jpg?width=750

Almost like a Lincoln's spare tire.....

Got everything back together for a test drive

ning-imag0183-148-9.jpg?width=750

The shaving is the full width of the pine scrap I was using.    Had it set a bit deep, though.     Not too bad for a $5 planening-imag0188-148-8.jpg?width=750

I think that is correct Lew, but I could get wrong.

Well I ran across this blog on a theory on why it is called a coffin plane.

http://www.fullchisel.com/blog/?p=256