Finishing Tips

kmealy

Finishing class went well yesterday, but I came home exhausted.  Seems like any radical change to your routine can do that to you.

This showed up in my inbox this morning.   In class yesterday, I told them about Bob Flexner's "half-right rule."  (Half of what you read or hear about finishing is true, you just have to determine which half).  I think that applies here

https://www.ronhazelton.com/blog/a_collection_of_wood_finishing_tips?utm_source=Ron's+Weekly+Newsletter&utm_campaign=2874a3d246-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_04_22&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_39db751e08-2874a3d246-21654377

2 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Though I've heard the name, I'm not sure what his claim to fame is. I wasn't going to watch after I saw he used Minwax products, but changed my mid after seeing it was only 3+ minutes. I'd say the 1/2 right rule is generous in this case.

Thanks for the heads up, Fred. He's a DIY guru onTV. Not impressed.

7 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Though I've heard the name, I'm not sure what his claim to fame is. I wasn't going to watch after I saw he used Minwax products, but changed my mid after seeing it was only 3+ minutes. I'd say the 1/2 right rule is generous in this case.

Yes, another great rule to follow is "consider the source,"   or sponsor.

Just like the DIY shows on HGTV, they never show close-ups of the finished products.   I'm betting that CrappyShades cabinet looks terrible, the poly over the lacquer peels and the edge of that table has a bunch of runs.