Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Wondering if anyone has tried making kits such as bottle openers , pizza cutter, ice cream scoop from color ply. My thinking is the drilling the end for the mounting bolt would not be as strong as solid wood. Has anyone had experience with this or have thoughts?

Never used color ply but if you are skeptical about it you could drill a hole in a longer rod and thread it to fit scoop.  Drill a deep enough hole and epoxy it in.

It’s not color ply but similar laminated construction

3E59077C-67C5-4DE7-BBEB-0C46FD4BFA9A.thumb.jpeg.89ee452782b72bd0818851133d25daf0.jpegC7525065-9DD8-4E48-B8C1-7CE12298B002.thumb.jpeg.42f56c33080c3d02a62b85e1d7348f3f.jpeg

instead of gluing/threading into a hole I used a threaded insert. The insert allows the handle to be removed so the utensil can be washed.

when threading the insert, use a small greared hose clamp to keep the laminations from being stressed

Is that the same thing as "spectra ply"? I have no personal experience but I've always assumed it's pretty strong.

Steve

4 hours ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

Is that the same thing as "spectra ply"? I have no personal experience but I've always assumed it's pretty strong.

Steve

Yes it is the same

I use it allot. never had an issue yet with it for ice cream scoops, pizza cutters, bottle openers so far

I've used it many times and played around with it in different glue patterns. I've had no problems with it

IMG_4054.JPG

Edited by Ron Altier
a goof