Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

Patriot Woodworker Moving To SSL Login

thank you...

John, this change was made on another forum I visit and because I didn't change my bookmark link to include the "s" (at the end of "http") I had to log in every time I visited the site...one of the admins pointed out that in that case I had to update my bookmark.  Just saying.....in case anyone here runs into the same thing. Everything did work the same, except for the logging in on each visit.

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr

Thanks John. I appreciate the background prompting the change and more importantly your continual work to keep us safe, secure and forever The Patriot Woodworking Community!

8 hours ago, John Morris said:

What do I have to do?

Nothing, you won't even know it's running, you will still utilize our community and login and logout the same way you always have, and everything will run just as smooth as before.

Change is good, as long as everything stays the same. (Sorry, Chips.) Thanks, John. You're doing a fine job!

John

This old luddite has no idea of that of which you speak. But, it sounds like it might be fun and, therefore a good thing for the community.;)

2 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

because I didn't change my bookmark link

You won't have to do that Fred, I mean you can if you want, but it won't be necessary, we'll have the appropriate re-directs set up so anyone who visits us at the old http will simply be redirected in the background to https, this has zero effects on speed of browsing, it's simply a redirect set up at our server level, and everything is taken care of in the background.

8 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

might be fun

For who!:lol:

Gene, like John says, don't be concerned...it will be invisible.

Crash course: look at any web address. you will see this at the beginning of the link (address)    http:// preceding the address. This indicates an unsecured connection to the server. This means that data traffic (information) between your computer and the server hosting the website is un-encrypted and can be intercepted and easily seen by a third party. You should NEVER send any personal information (like a credit card number or banking information) over this type of a connection.

On the other hand, a secure system is indicated by the addition of a "s" (meaning secured) to the protocol. https:// This indicates that the connection is a secure, encrypted, and protected against information being intercepted. Sometimes, this is not contained in the web address, but depending on the browser used will have another indicator; an open or closed padlock prior to the address, or a shield...

Hope this helped.

This project is currently in progress, our certifications have been obtained, and we are currently working on http to https redirects site wide. I will keep our community up to date to the final installation of our SSL.

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, Dadio said:

I will hold Bill @schnewj  accountable

why???

15 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

why???

...because I assured him (indirectly) that it will be seamless and invisible. Herb remembers the last system change he went through and how much trouble he had trying to log-on back on to the forum that shall not be named.

@Dadio Never fear, you will not even know that it happened until John tells you that it is done. Better, yet, maybe John should not tell us and keep you on pins and needles! :lol:

3 minutes ago, schnewj said:

because I assured him (indirectly) that it will be seamless and invisible.

don't think that is what Herber is saying...

It is true folks, this all should be painless. Once everything is in place, we'll pull the final trigger in the wee hours when most of you are sound asleep dreaming of table saws, lumber and turning bowls.

This project is taking a tad longer than expected because while working on our SSL I also discovered a service called CloudFare and RailGun that is ideally initiated the same time an SSL is generated and installed. So I am orchestrating the services to work with each-other.

What is CloudFare and RailGun?

Well, at this point our server resides in Michigan. I chose the Michigan server because obviously it is central to our nation, and on average the speed of our software would be accessible to most of our members. That is all well and good, but it can better.

CloudFare works from servers in virtually every state and most cities. What it does, is caches the larger code base and non cached items such as your forum topics, replies, and much of the opening underlying code that makes your forums operate, and serves those items locally to you. So just imagine having a Patriot Woodworker server within miles of your residence, every where in our nation. That is what is happening, the non cached data will be served locally to you, speeding up your website experience by 38%.

In a nutshell, you'll no longer be retrieving all the data from our Michigan server, you'll be retrieving much of the data from a server near you.

Railgun is the tool that shoots the data to you, CloudFare is the servers that are physically installed in a town near you. After this is all done, you will see a noticeable speed improvement to your arm chair.

Thanks for your patience folks.

17 minutes ago, John Morris said:

you'll be retrieving much of the data from a server near you.

Coming soon to a server near you...the new and improved Patriot Woodworker...look it's a bird, it's a plane, NO IT'S SUPER PATRIOT WOODWORKER...:lol:

21 minutes ago, John Morris said:

That is what is happening, the non cached data will be served locally to you,

Is this where I have to roll the window down so the tray can hang on the side?:D

Fair warning: If this weather doesn't improve soon so I can do something productive, it's only gonna' get worse;)

In all seriousness John...THANKS for constantly searching out ways to make the best on-line woodworking site even better. I'm proud and humbled to be among such a great Admin team and the best guys & gals anywhere on the inter-web.

1 hour ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Fair warning: If this weather doesn't improve soon so I can do something productive, it's only gonna' get worse;)

Don't worry, Gramps. I heard from a reliable source that some of my old childhood buddies are closing in as I'm typing this. One of them is using my old pet .270, 90gr. HPBT G-Hog load recipe. The ground rats days are numbered...six more weeks my...

punxsutawney-phil.jpg.5f39bf8ebf0615749b7f66d16979f5c4.jpg

Edited by schnewj

42 minutes ago, schnewj said:

Don't worry, Gramps. I heard from a reliable source that some of my old childhood buddies are closing in as I'm typing this. One of them is using my old pet .270, 90gr. HPBT G-Hog load recipe. The ground rats days are numbered...six more weeks my...

thanks for the heads up...

I'm saddled up...