Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

MWTCA April 2018 'What's It' Project

Rate this topic

No. 63 Low Angle Jack Plane Woodriver.jpgGrand Prize

We are proud to offer a Woodriver No. 63 Low Angle Jack Plane to this months "What's It" winner. This months "What's It" is sponsored by our supporter Woodcraft Supply.

Originally advertised as a plane for heavy stock removal across the grain, the No. 62 has found a home as a smoother and is quite popular among collectors. The WoodRiver® No. 62 is faithful to the original design, but is almost a full pound heavier at approximately 4.6 lbs. It features a body cast from ductile iron, with a bed angle of 12°, a bubinga tote and front knob, and a high-carbon steel blade with a 25° bevel. The plane measures a little less than 14" in length x 2-7/16" in width and has a 2"-wide blade. (Value $205.00)

"What's It" Basic Rules Reminder

(For a full run down on this project and rules please go to: "The Patriot Woodworker and MWTCA "What's It" project")

• Only Patriot Woodworker Members are eligible to participate and receive the award.
  • The MWTCA only accepts a verified source to support your answer, so one should be submitted with your answer, such as a patent, catalog entry, tool book reference, or a respectable website on the subject. Do not let these requirements prevent you from having fun and submitting educated answers on the subject without verification, we can worry about references later. All answers are welcome, as well as healthy debates regarding "What's It".
  • If a verified and referenced answer is not arrived at by the end of each month's "What's It" project, a random draw will be performed for a "One Year MWTCA Club Membership".
  • Only Patriot Woodworker's who participate in this "What's It" topic will be included in the random draw.

Ok ladies and gentlemen, we now have our April "What's it" live and ready!

The image(s) below is a MWTCA "What's It" image for you to research, and tell us all here in this topic post, just what the heck is it!

Project details

The information provided hereon is all the information that is provided, no further information on this item will be added.

Remember, "What's It" is not always woodworking related!

755.jpg

I see that being a tool for old hand buit boats. To press in and remove the tar laden cord between the boards maiting surfaces

Up close Frog gigger;)

Hunting spear on a short handle or close combat weapon

large animal tendon harvesting knife...

Re-purposed Harpoon tip 

9 minutes ago, Chips N Dust said:

Re-purposed Harpoon tip 

that too w/ a gut hook...

So my friends when they do finally find the ARK I will guarantee it will have been built out of fiber glass. Very simple conclusion since water and trees had not been invented yet...

Edited by Smallpatch

I believe Cap'n Ahab used that for hand-to-hand combat.

John

They were to be sold in pairs and used in ice skating competitions for hand stand ice skating but they never caught on.  Ice crystals blew is the skaters eyes causing injuries when the ran into the walls.

Here is a chip carving knife with similar attributes.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/548044601/wood-carving-knife-geometric-carving?ref=sold_out-19

image.png.6a5e198972cb17fe2e83703b5cd646b3.png

Edited by HandyDan

Very similar to this saddlers leather work knife that was listed on eBay

image.png.3a6064b9b44bdf328e76f46bc9ed0d35.png

At first I thought it was a flensing knife.   See also from Blomfield Knives in Australia:

image.png.b192eac469c539a0e0a5ac0afd7eb473.png

Edited by p_toad

54 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

The most compelling answer yet, now we have to go the extra mile, contact a seasoned chip carver, and get their opinion, or several chip carvers to get a general consensus, and/or a website of collectible chip carving tools etc etc. Verifiable references win the grand prize!

I think i may have figured this out. To small for boat calking. I think this appears to be a 18th or 19th century skinning knife to effectively clean and butcher a carcass as well as maintain hides for use, trade or sale

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think i may have figured this out. To small for boat calking. I think this appears to be a 18th or 19th century skinning knife to effectively clean and butcher a carcass as well as maintain hides for use, trade or sale

Verifiable reference Jay! Let's see what you got man! A beautiful Woodriver hand plane has your name all over it.:D