Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
kmealy

TGIF: Three things that affect finish curing Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Rate this topic

I have been thinking of getting a new clock for my shop,  and I am considering one that has both temperature and humidity dials on it.  Do you think this is something worth having, both for finishing and joinery issues, or are those just bells and whistles that aren't really all that useable?

1 hour ago, PostalTom said:

I have been thinking of getting a new clock for my shop,  and I am considering one that has both temperature and humidity dials on it.  Do you think this is something worth having, both for finishing and joinery issues, or are those just bells and whistles that aren't really all that useable?

I think it depends on where your shop is and what type of climate control you have.   It's different between New Orleans, Santa Fe, and Duluth.  And if your shop is not heated / air conditioned in the months where it would be useful.

Edited by kmealy

I'm in Wichita KS,  and my shop is in my basement.  The water heater and AC/furnace system are in the room next to my shop, separated by thin paneling nailed to 2x4s, but no real wall with drywall, insulation, etc.  Laundry facilities were in that room, but we moved them upstairs several years ago to save my wife from having to use the stairs.

Postal Tom, what you are asking about is what I have in my shop.  I has time, temp, humidity, day, date, month, etc.  I can monitor the temp and humidity in two location.   Purchased from Menards when it was on sale.  Danl

image.png.044bc8c9824ca454d8f16c49b65c6253.png

I cannot see what good humidity would do . Temperature can affect both finishes and glues so that might help as far as cure time . Humidity would be a factor with lacquer but if the basement is on the central not a big deal . IMHO.

10 hours ago, Gerald said:

I cannot see what good humidity would do .

I was asking about humidity based on Keith's discussion of it's effects. It sounds like humidity is a factor, but if it's effects are minimal,  maybe I won't worry about it.  I guess my question was that since I need a new clock for my shop anyway, should I go the extra mile and include the temp and humidity indicators.  Thanks all, for the input.

3 hours ago, PostalTom said:

I was asking about humidity based on Keith's discussion of it's effects. It sounds like humidity is a factor, but if it's effects are minimal,  maybe I won't worry about it.  I guess my question was that since I need a new clock for my shop anyway, should I go the extra mile and include the temp and humidity indicators.  Thanks all, for the input.

Tom my comment on humidity is based on the basement shop being on the home central system. If it is not then yes it would be a factor.