Hi, my name is Artie, and I’m new here (maybe 2 months) and new to woodworking. This is my first post on the finishing forum. I just made my first scroll saw project (that story is on the scrolling forum LOL). I made a shamrock, with it being Saint Patricks Day, and all. It is 3/8 Baltic Birch from Woodcraft. Do I sand with a fine sand paper (grade/number?) ? Or as I read somewhere else, do I not sand because the plus are so thin on 3/8?  Prime with an interior primer, and then paint with an interior house paint? Latex? Oil based? I was thinking a Kelly Green, semi-gloss. Any thoughts/opinions/advice anyone can throw my way is appreciated. Thank you All, Artie

AE5571DA-7359-4D54-9D7B-D1C85DB6EA66.jpeg

Artie, you could start out with 120 and end with 120 since it's being painted. Hit it with the 120 grit briefly on the surface to knock down the hairs, then hit the end ply's till they are smooth and closed up from the sanding. The paint will fill any micro or small voids. Cool Shamrock! Your choice of paint is fine, is the Shamrock going to be outside or inside?

Also, I would not bother priming, you can just hit it with two coats of your primary color, the first coat of your primary color is just as good as any primer.

Also, I added tags to your topic as you can see, they help others search for related content. Click on the tag "paint" and see what happens!

I would sand with 120 and  lightly hit it lightly with  with a 200 grit paper. No need for anything finer than that for a painted surface. You can go with an oil base paint, but I'd opt for Behr exterior Latex that includes the primer in the finish coat for easy odor free application and quick drying. Two coats should do it.

Actually , I think you'll find it almost impossible to buy an oil base paint in MA. or NH

Edited by It Was Al B

John, thank you very much for the advice. It’s gonna be staying inside, I believe (but I’m not the boss LOL) I hope to finish it this coming weekend. Thanks also for the tag info. Al thanks for the info, only thing I’m wondering, basement is around 55 degrees, I’m not sure what the temperature range is, I may have to wait till it warms up some. Oh well I’ll hit the orange store on the way home and see what happens. 

1 minute ago, Artie said:

only thing I’m wondering, basement is around 55 degrees

Hey Artie, pour a little into a plastic cup, take it in the house, and let it set for an hour, stir it up again, and then paint it while sitting at your dining room table (spread paper of course) while sipping on your favorite beverage!

The low temperature may slow the drying time, but as long as the paint is reasonably warm,  should be OK. We see painters painting homes in these temperatures regularly.

Store you shamrock in the house and go to the store to get your paint. Both items will be warm for painting in the shop when you get home.

Using latex paint also makes your brush cleaning much easier and faster.

Edited by It Was Al B