The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly!

Artie

It's looking great Artie. I'm not into a lot of scroll saw work but have played with it a little. Just follow the instructions given by those who have posted. Remember that scroll saw blades are stamped out, so you want to try to make your finished side of the cut on the smooth side of the blade. Don't try to rush it. Let the saw do the work.

Hope you don't have any problems with the  storm tonight and tomorrow. The beaches have been taking a beating.

On 3/11/2018 at 4:09 PM, Artie said:

OK today things went better (better being a relevant term). I got home from work around 1:00 and our son and our future Daughter-In-Law were coming over because it’s my b-day. After we ate Trevor and I went down to the shop. We got things up and running again. I made a Lisa sign for my wife, and Trevor made a Brianna sign for GUESS WHO? BRIANNA Ok I got carried away there. He watched me go first, and he was much better than I was. I told him he could come by and use the saw anytime he wanted to. There will be pictures posted today :) Observations getting a 2/0 painless blade into the saw was %##@$^&*&^%$#%. I understand the negatives about the pin blades, but they sure do install easier on the PorterCable. First question-I can clearly see where I will need some form of magnifying eyewear for installing blades, any recommendations? I broke two blades sawing, and one trying to install it, what online suppliers do you recommend for blades? So far I’m hearing that Flying Dutchman are the blades to buy. OK I’ll try to post the pictures now.

0DF9E67A-8AEB-494B-920F-0C7C400C98D5.jpeg

31B1B3B5-4D93-456D-9400-A09A793D613B.jpeg

Artie, here are the magnifiers I use sometimes and they are very good. The nice part about them they come with 4 different lenses, just snap out and snap another in. If you need a little light it also has a light mounted right in the center. https://www.amazon.com/Carson-MagniVisor-Head-Worn-Magnifier-CP-60/dp/B007CDJKM2/ref=sr_1_4/138-8092519-3078146?ie=UTF8&qid=1520900696&sr=8-4&keywords=carson+magnifier

Herb

Artie - like they said - "Practice makes (pretty much semi) perfect" - the lines wil become better - lookin good for a youngun - you will also learn blade choice that fits your style and species of wood and spped of machine - keep on strokin, Artie - we all started at the same place.  Its hard to draw a straight line let alone cut one.

I should probably start a second thread and call it The g,b&U II, so anyways I made a shamrock today, Yeah!!! (Yes Sheldon, that was sarcasm) ITV was something I would expect some 10-12 year old Cun Scouts to be able to make. I’m reasonably happy with the end result, but it did require a session with the SS stripsander. First, blade changes and tensioning are driving me $%$#@&. There should be a stop in the bottom blade holder so you just drop the blade in, hold it with one hand while tightening with other hand, but NOOOOOO! I drop the blade in till it stops, tighten up, and then there is not enough blade to make the top blade holder. (If you think this is funny, you should see me try to get a tie at the right height LOL). I broke 3 blades making the shamrock, and I do now know why the hockey stick description is so apt. I bought some Flying Dutchman variety packs, and the one I was using today was a #3 ultra reverse blade. I seriously can’t tell you I didn’t have them installed upside down :( . I bought the lighted magnifiers that Herb recommended (Thanks Herb), and while moving some stuff on the work bench, knocked the container holding the lenses off the bench, shattering the two strongest lenses. I do understand the part of flicking your thumb across the blade and listening for the ting, I am also tone deaf, LOL. I was using 3/8 Baltic Birch today, good stuff. So because we LIKE pictures I’m gonna post one of the shamrock, but this is NOT bragging, seriously, Cub Scouts could do this. I also have many questions on how to finish the shamrock, but there is probably a forum on finishing, so I’m a gonna go there (They need a laugh, too).

54399E7B-B160-4A0D-96E4-08369AB880C5.jpeg

Edited by Artie

I went to Ogunquit Beach Saturday morning with the detector. I had to go 1/2 way out at low tide to find sand I could break through with my scoop. It was around 20 degrees with a brisk wind. I stayed about an hour, found a nickel, and 5 pieces of aluminum trash. From a business standpoint FAIL, 3 hours drive round trip with $4 in tolls, from a hobbyists point of view-well I always love being on the beach :)

3 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

That's some darned fine cutting, Artie.  

As to finish...is there any doubt about color?:D

Gene I posted on the finishing forum, because I’m not sure how particular people are about threads being on the proper forum, but KELLY GREEN was my thought :)  Match the tattoo on me arm. Definitely wasn’t fine cutting, but I’m pretty sure under normal circumstances, it woulda been done on the bandsaw anyways. 

A heck of a lot better than I could do, Artie. I think you are learning a lot and gaining on it. Keep it going and challenge yourself when ever you feel you can.

Artie, you can buy replacement lenses here:

https://www.shoptics.com/carson-magnivisor-deluxe-4-pc-replacement-lens-kit.html

Herb

Edited by Dadio

3 hours ago, Artie said:

something I would expect some 10-12 year old Cun Scouts to be able to make.

I'm not so sure about that...but read on...

3 hours ago, Artie said:

seriously, Cub Scouts could do this

Well Artie, it's like this...I attended a Cub Scout meeting Friday night where there were power tools present. These Scouts are 1st, 2nd, 3rd graders. TRUST ME, NO ONE should be around power tools with 9 boys this age on a Friday night after a week of school...NO ONE. :oWhen I left no blood had been shed and I think everyone left with all their fingers.:unsure: Needless to say, I worked my my grandson 1:1 today versus that environment. The only "power tool" he was allowed to operate on his own was the Shop Vac. I did left him do some sanding on the OSS. 

Sorry about the new lenses...at least they weren't attached to your head.:D

As for the Shamrock, well, I'm impressed! Great learning project and from where I sit in Indiana it looks pretty darn nice to me. Look at it this way; a little over  2 weeks ago you didn't have a scroll saw, let alone done any scrolling. In that time, look how far you've come. Keep at it...looks like you're a natural.

Edited by Grandpadave52

I’m not trying to convey I think I’m hopeless or gonna give it up, I just thought I’d be further along the learning curve than this. I learned to drive a stick shift easier than this LOL. Next Sunday I’m gonna go over the saw with a fine tooth comb and the manual. I’m pretty sure it’s moving more than is liked. I’ve got a couple of other projects lined up with some fret work involved :(  LOL.

3 hours ago, Artie said:

I went to Ogunquit Beach Saturday morning with the detector. I had to go 1/2 way out at low tide to find sand I could break through with my scoop.

Not to hi-jack your thread any more than I already had, but since you opened the door:rolleyes:...You guys (and gals) have been hit really hard the past three weeks. What's your assessment of the beach/ocean front overall? Obviously from spending lots of time there over the years with the detector you're very knowledgeable about the degree of change and erosion. Just curious...don't hear or see anything locally anymore about the severity of the damage.

3 hours ago, Artie said:

I went to Ogunquit Beach Saturday morning with the detector. I had to go 1/2 way out at low tide to find sand I could break through with my scoop. It was around 20 degrees with a brisk wind. I stayed about an hour, found a nickel, and 5 pieces of aluminum trash. From a business standpoint FAIL, 3 hours drive round trip with $4 in tolls, from a hobbyists point of view-well I always love being on the beach :)

When Saturday came around, I wondered if you'd actually hit the beach in the cold winds. 19 miles of New Hampshire toll roads to get to Ogunquit ME. Seems over priced to me. I still use RT.1 to go north. A little slower but cheaper. OH well, you win some and you loose some. It just wasn't your day.:(

Edited by It Was Al B

1 minute ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Not to hi-jack your thread any more than I already had, but since you opened the door:rolleyes:...You guys (and gals) have been hit really hard the past three weeks. What's your assessment of the beach/ocean front overall? Obviously from spending lots of time there over the years with the detector you're very knowledgeable about the degree of change and erosion. Just curious...don't hear or see anything locally anymore about the severity of the damage.

Salisbury has been hit hard, lots of erosion, large amounts of sand dunes missing. This is from a person I work with, who has a summer home there. Hampton has seen a lot of sand movement, but this winter I haven’t been there enough times to be up on it. As a detectorist we like to go where lots of sand has been removed, get at stuff that hasn’t been available in decades (or so I’m told, haven’t really been able to hit a beach right after a big winter storm). Yeah 3 storms in 2 weeks, another one possible this week. We never lost power so far, been to work every day. One of these storms will be the last snowfall for the season (I keep telling myself).