Hello woodworkers!!

Matt47

Welcome aboard Matt. We're equally thrilled you found us too!

Don't hesitate to ask questions about projects or the site.

Sorry not from Texas; West Central Indiana is home

Looking forward to your participation by hearing and seeing what you enjoy.

Edited by Grandpadave52

Welcome aboard Matt. A great bunch of guys here, with all you need to know about woodworking , and friends with general discussion in other topics. I dropped my line here a couple of years ago and the fishing has been great. Grab a line and enjoy the fishing. I'm on the East coast, a long way from Texas, but you'll find a few Texans along the road here.

Edited by It Was Al B

3 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Welcome aboard Matt. We're equally thrilled you found us too!

Don't hesitate to ask questions about projects or the site.

Sorry not from Texas; West Central Indiana is home

Looking forward to your participation by hearing and seeing what you enjoy.

I really appreciate the welcome. I am sure I will be having many questions for all of the wood-turners here really soon. I've only had my mini lathe since December so I am still working on figuring out what does what. I have attempted to make 2 pens with no luck, I was not able to drill a true straight hole in the pen blank. As of this afternoon I should now be able to, I stopped by Harbor Freight and purchased a small drill press so I will be turning a pen tomorrow afternoon.

9 minutes ago, Matt47 said:

I am sure I will be having many questions for all of the wood-turners here really soon.

You've hit the mother-lode here Matt. TPW has some of the most talented, creative, knowledgeable, and helpful "wood-spinners" you'll find anywhere on the inter-web. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.:P

8 hours ago, Matt47 said:

So do you guys mainly buy turning blanks or are you finding and curing your own wood?

Depends. For exotics yes you will have to buy--purpleheart, bishopwood and so on. For domestic you will mostly buy if you need figured to do a Clewes style platter as below. All other domestic you find and ask or watch for downed trees . Then as you get established people will call you or drop it off for you. For faster connections join a club. You can go to the AAW website and do a search for clubs. In addition to that AAW has many benefits and resources you will want to join to take advantage of.

23 hours ago, Gerald said:

Depends. For exotics yes you will have to buy--purpleheart, bishopwood and so on. For domestic you will mostly buy if you need figured to do a Clewes style platter as below. All other domestic you find and ask or watch for downed trees . Then as you get established people will call you or drop it off for you. For faster connections join a club. You can go to the AAW website and do a search for clubs. In addition to that AAW has many benefits and resources you will want to join to take advantage of.

Thank you for the information 

I usually don't jump in and welcome people aboard. I leave it to my helpers.

I noticed you didn't mind putting where you live in print. Too bad most won't do that. Something to do with the 

witness protection program??

I've got this thing going with the wife, we write down all the names of guys and the towns in a certain direction we might want to go and obtain their phone numbers... When we get close I call the woodworker and since everyone is real easy she can explain we hit a bump in the road and broke the car in half and could we get a hundred or so for the repairs then when we get back home for sure I will mail your money back to you. I usually let the wife beg or that is lovingly request the money. This way she would still be with me in the cell to make up my bed and cook for me if someone turns us in..

This being a private message only you can read this but being another Texan I will not under any circumstances will I ever try to do you that way.. Oh sure!

Okay, what did you do when you decided you wanted to switch over and ruin a bunch of 2x4's??

Smallpatch

Edited by Smallpatch