Best finish for heart pine?

Cal

Cal, the dark part of that pine, stain or dye will not penetrate. What ever you rub on will stay on the surface.

You must like the looks of yp so why not leave it clear and just spray on a clear finish. I would not tell anyone to brush on a finish so I will leave it alone...

If you do chose to spray clear lacquer after it dries use 0000 steel wool with a little Johnson's paste wax as a chaser to end up with a beautiful smooth finish...

7 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

Cal, the dark part of that pine, stain or dye will not penetrate. What ever you rub on will stay on the surface.

This is called "grain reversal" -- the late wood (dark) parts of the grain will not accept much color and the early wood will.   (photo from "The Finishing Store")   One way to avoid this is to use a toner, a finish with color in it.   It works best when sprayed on and can go opaque if you get it on even a bit too heavy.  And if the finish gets a chip or edge wear in it, it can show a light spot.

If the grain reversal does not bother you, I get an "espresso" finish (at least that's what I call it) by first applying a red dye, then use General Finishes Espresso wiping stain (water borne).  I've heard good things about the Java (oil-based), too, but I'd consider it more toward the brown side than the black of Espresso.  I guess it really depends upon your understanding of what color "espresso" is.

1_Grain-reversal-in-stained-pine_large.jpg.eaef6486f69ef963cbb7aae1ae8ae943.jpg

Thanks for the replies.  I had to go upstairs and take a look at the bed.  It is from Ikea, which they list as "black-brown".  It is very dark, but not black.  It is a solid, or opaque color, with no wood grain showing through.  Could this be a painted surface?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29007850/

0174558_PE328213_S5.JPG

Most of the stuff I've seen from Ikea is a form of glued up saw dust so I would think there is no reason to stain when paint would be faster as a cover up.

I my thinking Cal just a clear finish on your night stands would be a good contrast and like you said yellow pine has the best looking grain of all the pines... 

It is quite likely it is a "toner."   That is a finish that has some added dye or pigment.  Spray on one coat, wait 20 minute, possibly spray on second coat, wait 20 minutes, package it up.   It is somewhere between paint and clear finish depending on how heavy they go on the colorant.  It's used on  lot of commercial furniture, often on the cheap stuff sometimes the high end stuff.

I have spent a good bit of time on line tonight.  The majority of the information I reviewed agreed with @scarletjim on the use of GF Gel Stain in Java.  I also read one posting (with pics) where the furniture was painted white for a nice contrast, and they did look good.  And, there is merit to Jess' post to clear them.  This decision needs to be made by SWMBO.  She will be home this weekend, and hopefully by then I will actually have them done so they can be set in place for easier visualizing how they might look.

Thanks y'all for your posts and ideas.