Wednesday's Wisdom For Woodturners February 14, 2018

lew

49 minutes ago, lew said:

That's probably why I found this Tim Yoder turning video so amusing-

:lol::D:lol:...His Bob Ross parody was excellent. Too bad "little Steve" couldn't quite get the hang of turning!:lol::lol:  I still catch episodes of Bob from time-to-time on our local PBS stations.

49 minutes ago, lew said:

Finally, I guess someone likes my rolling pins. Got this in the mail today-

Congratulations. Well deserved recognition...What took them so long anyway?

As always a great weekly update even for us non wood spinners...maybe some day if Steve can stop by and show me a few tricks.:P

Edited by Grandpadave52

@Steve Krumanaker Thanks! That video really tickled my funny bone!

@Grandpadave52 Thank You!

@DAB Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

@Gerald Cool looking ring! I missed the Carl Jacobson video on that. Have to check it out. Thanks!

@HandyDan Thanks!

@Gene Howe Thank You!  

@Cal Thanks!

someone saw another one i made (pic), and contacted me to have me make a bowl.  i already had the blank glued up, intending to do a bandsaw box, but that became this bowl.  he said he'll pay for it.

so now i have to assign a price.

i don't recall what i paid for that lumber long ago.  1x8 cherry, four 8" squares.  that's 8x8x4/144= 1.8 board feet of cherry.  say at $6/BF, that's about $11 worth of materials.  $200?

1 hour ago, DAB said:

about $11 worth of materials.  $200?

I tried selling my rolling pins, at an artist co-op, in an affluent area (VMI area). Put a price tag of $90 (the co-op took $30 of that). Sold 1. Now I ask considerably less- when I sell one. Covers the cost of materials (wood, sanding supplies,finish) but not much else.

took an informal survey of some friends.  they had prices from $25 to $170, most under $50.

people have no idea what custom work is worth.

"hey, here's $50, make me a bowl of cherry."

"make your own.  that kind of money is not worth my time for a stranger."

you'll need a lathe, some turning tools, appropriate accessories for the lathe, sand paper, finish, and most importantly, "know how".  i have "know how", do you?  sorry, you can't borrow mine.  you'll have to get that the same way i got mine:  practice.

have a nice day.

5 hours ago, DAB said:

took an informal survey of some friends.  they had prices from $25 to $170, most under $50.

people have no idea what custom work is worth.

"hey, here's $50, make me a bowl of cherry."

"make your own.  that kind of money is not worth my time for a stranger."

you'll need a lathe, some turning tools, appropriate accessories for the lathe, sand paper, finish, and most importantly, "know how".  i have "know how", do you?  sorry, you can't borrow mine.  you'll have to get that the same way i got mine:  practice.

have a nice day.

Well it does depend on the size of the bowl . But yes most of my bowls I would price from 35 to 65 with hollow forms even higher or bowls over 9 inch higher. And if I add embellishment well the sky is the limit.

2 hours ago, HandyDan said:

The craft show mentality always kicks in for the buyers.  "It's just wood isn't?"

yes, you are right, it's just wood.  here, i brought a blank, all you have to do is remove the parts that don't look like a bowl.  that'll be $5 please.

to a great artist:  "it's just canvas and some paint, no more than $40 of materials and a small brush"  "art store is down the block, help yourself to their supplies and do it yourself"

i'm settling on a number in my mind.  it's north of what has been offered above.  too much you say?  fine, keep your money, i'll keep my bowl.