Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I saw that tonight on TV and kept yelling at him to get the flag off the ground.  Sinful!  I guess he didn't watch his teammate Chloe Kim last night. 

 

image.png.5ceb0439bc90bf431d15a0906caf1241.png

Edited by HandyDan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife (who I drug around the world for four years in the A.F.) yelled at the TV telling him to ," Get the flag off the ground, Stupid!"  Shameful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HandyDan said:

I guess he didn't watch his teammate Chloe Kim last night. 

She must of showed up to the do's and don't class held by the US Olympic Team Coordinator, and, she was raised right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First generation child of South Korean immigrants. I'm sure her parents, as new citizens, taught her about how to respect the flag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

I'm sure her parents, as new citizens, taught her about how to respect the flag. 

Most often more of a Patriot then the native born who take our nation for granted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a veteran (Army infantry, '68-'70), and I love my country and respect the anthem, the flag, and the bald eagle. However, I do not worship them. I see weather-worn flags hanging down or wrapped around on poles everywhere. Some folks use the flag in clothes, drapes, table clothes and art work as a display honoring our country and people. The flag in the combat picture is covering a dead brother while touching the body bag and the tarp beneath it. The death is a tragic loss. The flag touching anything does not diminish its meaning. White is proud to be an American and to have won a gold medal for America, and is overcome with the emotion of the win as are the bothers of their loss. We should be proud, also.

hat 

Edited by hatuffej

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This goes more into the depth of how our American culture has focused more on self, a narcissist culture is permeating our nation, where as the title of my topic is All About Me, is more where my personal feelings on this lay. This topic is symbolic more about the direction our American culture is heading, it's All About Me. I am an Army Veteran, but this has nothing to do with my service, yet more about the direction our nation is heading. 

I can separate Shaun's deeds from his moral misstep, he does a wonderful job, till the very end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John Morris said:

This goes more into the depth of how our American culture has focused more on self, a narcissist culture is permeating our nation, where as the title of my topic is All About Me, is more where my personal feelings on this lay. This topic is symbolic more about the direction our American culture is heading, it's All About Me. I am an Army Veteran, but this has nothing to do with my service, yet more about the direction our nation is heading. 

I can separate Shaun's deeds from his moral misstep, he does a wonderful job, till the very end.

We are on the same page, John.

Herb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not as if he intentionally threw the flag on the ground. I think he was overwhelmed with his victory and for the moment was unaware of what he was doing. I think if he had spent any time in the military, he would have held the flag high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Another reason for a two year service requirement for all able bodied young'uns.

I have got a 19yr.old grandson that doesn't know how to peel a banana or to cut a piece off a beef steak. He will go into his last year of college next year , if you give him a banana he will take it to his mother to peel for him and he stabs a steak with his fork and holds it up to take a bite out of it,til his mother cuts it up for him. But he can run circles around you on a computer or other digital device.

Herb

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2018 at 9:37 AM, Gene Howe said:

Let's bring back Civics classes.

"Civics is the study of the theoretical, political and practical aspects of citizenship, as well as its rights and duties; the duties of citizens to each other as members of a political body and to the government."

I totally, agree!

 

I didn't see the "act", but I will say this; I suspect that he was caught up in the moment and the disrespect was not intentional, and as a kid I was well aware of "proper" flag etiquette and would do my best not to let what he did happen. However, the things being taught (or in most cases not taught) to the newer generations highlights how the national pride of the ME GENERATION has eroded.

 

17 hours ago, Dadio said:

I have got a 19yr.old grandson that doesn't know how to peel a banana or to cut a piece off a beef steak. He will go into his last year of college next year , if you give him a banana he will take it to his mother to peel for him and he stabs a steak with his fork and holds it up to take a bite out of it,til his mother cuts it up for him. But he can run circles around you on a computer or other digital device.

Herb

 

So, IF and when he is out in the cold cruel world he can code himself a meal, so he won't starve to death! RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dadio said:

I have got a 19yr.old grandson

 

got his mother trained...

she is there to serve him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2018 at 7:37 AM, Gene Howe said:

Let's bring back Civics classes.

"Civics is the study of the theoretical, political and practical aspects of citizenship, as well as its rights and duties; the duties of citizens to each other as members of a political body and to the government."

 

YES!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


About us

We are a woodworking community with an emphasis on sharing and learning the skilled craft of woodworking and all of its related disciplines. Our community is open to everyone who wishes to join us. We support our veterans and active duty both here in the United States and in Canada, being a veteran is not a prerequisite to join. So please, join us! Please click on Join The Patriot Woodworker's.

 

We support MWTCA, preserving tools and implements from the past.

M-WTCA Logo.gif

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

Visit us on Facebook

×