Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Gene Howe

Has anyone used this technique?

Rate this topic

It's called Trace Coating. A water based dye is applied and allowed to dry. Then sanding starts with, in the video, 120 grit.  All the planer marks, drum sander scratches, glue spots, and other scratches and dings become readily apparent. 

I just started using the process on the mesquite for the river table. Mesquite is a good bit harder than the maple used in the video. I started with 60, then 80 and 100. I'll do 120 and 180 and call it done. It's already dead flat and smooth as a baby's butt. 

Here's Charles Neil's video about the process. He rambles a lot and, talks slow but, the information is really good.

Enjoy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=4s&v=Ni2Y3vMtUSU

Sorry, You tube won't allow embedding of this video. 

Edited by Gene Howe

That's pretty cool. I'll have to give that a try. Wonder if it'll work on the lathe?

Wish I could afford that Mirka sander!

Guess @Gerald answered my question!

Edited by lew

Dang it, Gene! Now I have to stop what I'm working on and give that a try. How am I ever to achieve perfection when you keep raising the bar? You guys are the best!! :D :D  :D

Cliff, it's fine on my machine. Sometimes, if you go back to a YouTube video the sound and/or the picture quality improves. Then, it just might be his VA accent.

Try just searching YouTube for Trace coating and forget the link.

Hope it works for you. It really is a great method for a super smooth and flawless surface. And, in the long run, a time saver.