Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

25 minutes ago, kmealy said:

Well, I have two of them.

get the LV over the LN...

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=46791&cat=1,41182,41189,46791

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=56665&cat=1,230,41182

no need for the Starretts as long as what you do have is accurate...

Got two. The little Bosch router and the pull saws...got several of those. My Combo squares are all Stanley rust hunt finds.

I have the Starett 4" combo square and the Starett 12 " combo with the Center head and protractor head.

I sold my Starrett,and bought 2 Stanleys, I have several pull saws but like my LV/LN Gents saw best. To me the Starrett is overkill for wood working, great for when I was metal working. 4 trim routers,none Bosch, waiting for them to wear out before I buy a Bosch.

1 hour ago, Dadio said:

. To me the Starrett is overkill for wood working

Are you saying perfect 90's are overkill for woodworking ?:blink:

20 minutes ago, It Was Al B said:

Are you saying perfect 90's are overkill for woodworking ?:blink:

any square that is accurate will do that...

1 hour ago, Dadio said:

No, but .001" are.

I spent almost 20 years as a machinist/toolmaker   It taught me that  the ability to measure  very closely is never a disadvantage and that   tolerance stack can best be addressed by working to the tightest tolerances   possible.

Amazing any furniture pieces made by the Shakers and other 18th century craftsman even survived w/o use of these tools or electricity...just sayin

4 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Amazing any furniture pieces made by the Shakers and other 18th century craftsman even survived w/o use of these tools or electricity...just sayin

It was achieved Dave, but in today's world, if you want to make a living at it, accurate tools and power tools are needed to keep you competative. Speed is definitely a factor today.

You're right Dave. That degree of accuracy is a bit of overkill. I definitely wouldn't try to compare my woodworking skills to that of some of the folks here. My problem with the cheaper combination squares is that  they are usually made of materials that don't hold the accuracy over time, either because of over tightening , or dropping, or bending etc. I've dropped my Starett several times over the years. What happens is the tightening pin usually breaks, but they are  easily replaceable. I usually keep at least one pin on hand. I 've never bent a rule or even  broken the level on the Starett. With confidence, it has always been my "go to" tool to check the accuracy of the 90's and 45's that are cut on TS, SCMS, and BS.

Have 12" Starrett but without protractor head, 4" LV double square, Ridgid trim router, two Dozukis one crosscut, one rip cut, and LV low angle block plane. My most reliable 90 degree device in my table saw sled that sighted in via the 5 cut method ala William Ng.

For accuracy I check with a plastic drafting triangle. Then there is the old line on the bench , flip the square mark again . Then compare the lines for parallel.