Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
kmealy

Sealcoat at Home Depot

Rate this topic

HD must be discontinuing gallon cans at their stores and making it only ship-to-store in 2 gal cartons.  If you search online, that's the only way you'll find it.   I picked up some today for $29 on the clearance rack.   That's the cheapest it's been in a dozen years (been floating around $40 for most of that time).

Just be sure it's fresh.   It has a 3 year shelf life.   The first three digits of the lot number will be

S y m where

• S says made us US (Somerset, NJ)
  • m is the last digit of the year (e.g., 7 for 2017)
  • m is the month 1-9 (Jan-Sept), O(ct), N(ov), or  D(ec)
  • the rest are the day of the month, lot number, etc.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/flexner-on-finishing-blog/user-unfriendly-zinsser-bulls-eye-shellac

The nearest one to me is about 40 miles, but I may have to check and see if I can get a gallon. I'd put it in a plastic bag or bucket....for some time there were complaints about the quart cans developing a leak while sitting on the shelf. I never heard that about the gallon cans, but it won't hurt to be safe just in case. I put all (2) of my quarts in zip locks after I had one go bad.

I had one leak and mess up the floor.   The new one's in a trash can and plan to move it to a drywall bucket

Haven't been able to find Sealcoat in HD or Lowes in sometime. I get it at my Woodworking store. The turnover there is quite fast so out of date cans are not seen. Once went to a TruValue hardware store and found a can 4 years old. Took it to the counter and informed them that it was no good and that they should get rid of it. It was still there the next time I went to the store.