Dust Collection on RE Saw

Dadio

30 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I do like that, I'm guessing you keep your saw at 90º?

Yeah I do, Fred,

I use it exclusively for 90 deg.  cut offs. I hate to cut off long boards on the table saw.  I do the miter cuts on the TS.  Not doing any long material miter cuts any more, if I cut long stuff, like rafters etc. I do it out side on saw horses  and a chop saw or skill saw.

Also I might add I cut wedges and lay them on the table sometimes to make the angle either up and down, or flat,thus keeping the blade at 90 deg. to the fence.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

1 hour ago, Wil said:

Herb, this is great.   I have the same saw and use for crosscuts only as well.   What did you do under the saw?   Im assuming just enclosed the metal support frame?

Wil, the Metal channel saw frame sets on a 3/4" plywood top which is lower than the long off feed top of the bench,(Was Made for a Chop Saw Originally). On top of the metal saw channel is another piece of 3/4" ply to bring it up to height. Then the final layer is a removable top so it can be replaced if it gets beat up. In the 2nd picture you can see the replaceable top and the sub top.

I made a couple of extra inserts when I made the one shown, just in case I later want to replace it. The hole in the insert is a finger hole to pull it out , the reason I used a T/G is I didn't want any metal fasteners in proximity of the blade.

As I said before ,this set-up seems to capture 90+% of the sawdust. I added a couple of holes in the side of the box to add make-up air since I have plenty of air flow and it keeps the airflow in the main duct up without choking it down.

Herb

• 1 year later...