Rocking Chair

Dadio

Lew, I'm a terrible steam bender, I have tried a few times, never could get the knack of it. So now I just band saw  them. These I band sawed a 4" wide board then ripped them to width on the TS, that assured me of uniformity of each one and saved a lot of fussing trying to make individual pieces identical.

Gene she liked it so much she still hasn't painted it, she is old and so is the chair,so it makes a good pair.

Herb

1 hour ago, Dadio said:

Here are the before and after pictures.

Obviously she was "off her Rocker" when she brought it to you. :rolleyes:

Beautiful piece of furniture design wise. It's a shame she decided to paint it. Never mind...:P

My taste for that design and look would have been to refinish and place a cushion only in the seat..

A shame to cover those slats and seat.

Great save Herb..

Edited by Grandpadave52

Living in central Fl. I built'm for service ability & not beauty, made'm using 2x6's, solid PW back with corner post up to top.

Friend told me once she kept hers in kitchen, when her back got to hurting real bad she'd sit & rock & that straight back made'r feel better, said she'd got out of bed in the night to sit and rock.

Aint talking bout back was at a 90 deg. from seat, no, prolly 5 - 8 degree lean back.

Cya 

I have seen where they have tied pillow pads on the back and seats too.

To me that would be easier to maintain.

This one would have had to be reupholstered or painted as there is a hundred tiny tack holes in the rails. I filled them and sanded them for paint. Also it had those old vintage steel casters on the front that were bent ant rusted tight. I took those off and added 2 ball feet by doweling them onto the legs.

Herb

56 minutes ago, p_toad said:

i'll try to take a few more pictures of this chair as i get close to being finished with it.   Wife took some shrink wrap over the material so i didn't get glue or whatever on it.   Nice job!:)

The one I did had 4 layers of upholstery on it, must have been reupholstered  so many times the rails looked like a shotgun blasted them. I made a mistake on my post about the casters they were on the back  legs, not the front and she has laminate floors and didn't want them to mark the floor. But when I removed them it lowered the back by over an inch, so I bought a couple of balls at the craft store with a 1/2" blind hole in them and used dowels to attach them.

Herb