Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

I see those "Woodpecker" tools being advertised and have marveled at their prices. Sorta like the Festools of hand tools. Too rich for my thinning wallet.

I have used the same square for all my wood working life. Its aluminum, so yes I do check it with a heavier steel model just to make sure it tells me the correct measurements.

Just because guys can show off their very expensive tools and equipment does not automatically make them a good woodworker!!!! 

I always wonder about the economics of "one time tools."    There's a lot of R&D, tooling, patent search and filing, and advertising that needs to be spread over a limited number of tools in a limited amount of time.

Poor tools can limit our challenge you -- expensive tools do not make you a  craftsman.   A lot of the craftmanship is on the wooden end of the hammer.

5 hours ago, Wil said:

Signed, frugal in KC...

Dear Frugal,

I do not agree with your wife and family you are cheap. In fact, I believe you are fiscally responsible and wise beyond your age. I personally agree the amount for a square such as this is nearly obscene. While no doubt good quality, by choosing limited production runs based on advance sales only drives their production costs to unrealistic levels. Without an equally accurate pencil, eye and hand, the advantages of such an expensive square would not likely be realized.

Continue using your fiscally frugal judgment and reap the benefits when you purchase something you really want that you don't need.:P

Signed, Also frugal in WC Indiana

Edited by Grandpadave52

I have a Starett Square that I've had for probably 50 years. I remember, at the time, I thought it was expensive.That said, a quality square that has numbering  etched so that it is easy to read after years of service, and continues to maintain it's accuracy without developing a slop is worth the money.  I have to ask, how many cheap square have you had to invest in over the years. As for the case, once you start using a square, it seldom finds its way back to the case. You can save that $30.00. With a quality square, if it should become necessary, you can buy replacement parts. No need to buy a completely new square.

My eyes aren't what they used to be, but I can still read my Starett. The quality tool doesn't make me a better woodworker, but it sure makes it more fun.

What items are included with the Woodpecker square?

Edited by It Was Al B

Got my Paws very old steel sq. best I can tell its jes as sq. as day it was made.

The numbers and marks are all imprented into the steel, prolly outlast me and a dozen more after me ifn it's discovered when I'm gone. Cost nothing, used to build truck bodies when I wuz a yougen(before the fifties) and LORD only knows 'fore then

Cya

As a side story:   I went to the Gerstner factory sale last summer.   They had some combination square "seconds"    Could not tell the brand as the logo was ground off.   "What use is a square that is not square?   A doorstop."

(Yes, I know you can fiddle with some squares to tune them, but assuming you have a problem that can be fixed, I'd rather spend the extra $30-50 than spend a whole day tuning.)

i've had my share of squares in my lifetime, some great, some good, some bad. i still wish they'd put a full ruler on a speed square. Inca tools are WAY to precise and anything made out of plastic is CRAP.

52 minutes ago, It Was Al B said:

What items are included with the Woodpecker square?

Yeah, just the square.   And I can certainly agree with Keith in that it's sometimes worth the extra expense to get a quality tool one can depend on, but I'm sure I can find this quality for far less than $160.

For just the square, I know you can find Staretts at  a better price. If you're interested, check out the Starett C11-12-4R 12 on Amazon or any other supplier of your choice.You'll probably be looking at a price about $110.00 more or less. It's 12" long, not the 18" Woodpecker is advertising. 

Edited by It Was Al B

If you're actually in the market for a small or large framing square, you might consider one of these...Still pricey and no case, but as Al said, with a framing square, after a couple times the case will not be used.

You can go to Chappell's site too, but many of their hyperlinks are not working.  Best to use the tool bar across the top of their page. http://chappellsquare.com/products/

Lee-Valley -- Chappell Framing Squares

I have a number of tools from Woodpeckers.  I agree they are pretty proud of their tools, but I have to say that I have never gotten one that I felt was lacking in quality.  As far as their framing squares are concerned, Yeah, probably over priced, but the built-in ledge that allows them to lay flat on the edge and across the face of a panel can be pretty handy.  I guess it is an individual decision about where your "break point" is on a tool being too expensive.

Here in the Great Pacific Northwest we have our own premier tool company "Bridge City Tools".

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/tools/gift-ideas.html

Herb

Edited by Dadio

18 minutes ago, Dadio said:

Here in the Great Pacific Northwest we have our own premier tool company "Bridge City Tools".

They're kinda' pricey too, but some interesting and high quality looking tools.

Thanks...don't recall every hearing of this company...but I don't get out much.:P 

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, Dadio said:

Herb

WOW! Some of their prices make Woodpeckers look like tinker toys.

Some years ago, I received Bridge City's Kerfmaker as a Birthday gift. It's in a drawer. Every time I see it I think I ought to get it out and figure out how to use it. Then, I decide I don't have a free day.:wacko:

1 hour ago, Gene Howe said:

Some years ago, I received Bridge City's Kerfmaker as a Birthday gift. It's in a drawer. Every time I see it I think I ought to get it out and figure out how to use it. Then, I decide I don't have a free day.:wacko:

BUT.... you own a Bridge City tool! Weave THAT fact into casual conversation, and your rating as a woodworker goes through the roof! First thing you know, you're being interviewed on the local TV station, and THEN.... well, the sky's the limit!

John

sarcasm.jpg.17c4d00622beb457e93509d9d246518f.jpg