What brand scrollsaw do you use?

Wichman3

So, if you use a scrollsaw, what brand, make or model do you use? Pros and cons appreciated.

I'll start; Delta Model 40-560 Type II with quick clamp, blade clamp.

Pros, not terribly expensive, Two speed, very fast blade clamp/unclamp (important for fretwork), up front tension release/adjustment , fast tension release.

Cons, some vibration, small table, never use the slow speed, adjusting the blade clamp for different blades cumbersome.

Edited by Wichman3

I am a terrible scroll sawyer, I started with a Delta spring loaded jig saw in the 50's, then an AMT walking beam, then a Hagner 18" didn't like it at all, gave it away to someone else, I think it was for the more experienced crowd.  Bought a Dewalt, like it better, still have it ,use it occasionally, still not good at it.  It is quiet, changing blades is easy, tightening tension is very easy.

Herb

54 minutes ago, Dadio said:

I am a terrible scroll sawyer, I started with a Delta spring loaded jig saw in the 50's, then an AMT walking beam, then a Hagner 18" didn't like it at all, gave it away to someone else, I think it was for the more experienced crowd.  Bought a Dewalt, like it better, still have it ,use it occasionally, still not good at it.  It is quiet, changing blades is easy, tightening tension is very easy.

Herb

Herb, what didn't you like about the Hegner? They're supposed to be primo.

11 hours ago, Wichman3 said:

Herb, what didn't you like about the Hegner? They're supposed to be primo.

I am sure it was just me, not knowing how to use a scroll saw. there is more to it than one realizes. I have never been around one much or anyone that used them. I have always marveled at what some people do with them.

I didn't like the way the blades were changed and held in the machine. Seemed like everything was pricey from Hegner I didn't know how to get the correct tension on the blade either.

Here is a picture of it. I gave tit to a guy in Texas who paid the shipping.

Herb

Hegner.JPG

17 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

I have the Hegners..polycut and a pair of SE's...

no complaints...

@Dadio.. wasn't there some bent on your saw???

The person who received it said the arm was slightly bent. I don't know if it was in transit or when I had it. But he had it straightened and then it worked for him.

Just now, Dadio said:

The person who received it said the arm was slightly bent. I don't know if it was in transit or when I had it. But he had it straightened and then it worked for him.

He also upgraded the blade connectors through Hegner with some quick release ones and some other things, he said it was spendy though.

Herb

A few years back I bought a used RBI Hawk VS220  for $200. They are arguably second to Hegner, but it's about as much scroll saw as I'll ever need. The guy who owned sure did some neat stuff, lots of detailed cutting. I still see them show up every great once in a while. The original company has changed hands (twice, I think) but yo can still get parts and service for them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2018 at 12:23 PM, Smallpatch said:

I use the Dewalt 788 which I bought early 99 and it is the most used tool in my shop. Way more hours per day than probably all the rest put together..

You don't need many other tools you live and breathe with the scroll saw, I can tell by those beautiful clocks you make.

Herb

Herb too bad you didn't throw that stand away and used the Hegner with an office chair with the scroll saw sitting on a 20" tall table, you might be using the scroll saw like I do every day... A person needs to be comfortable no matter what they are doing...

After spending time in the army in Germany I can see why they built a stand for standing us only for that saw....

1 hour ago, Smallpatch said:

Herb too bad you didn't throw that stand away and used the Hegner with an office chair with the scroll saw sitting on a 20" tall table, you might be using the scroll saw like I do every day... A person needs to be comfortable no matter what they are doing...

After spending time in the army in Germany I can see why they built a stand for standing us only for that saw....

Now that you mention the stand. I have had to catch it several times from tipping over, and cussed it numerous times. I bought the saw used and never liked it or the stand.

When I get back to using a scroll saw I may tap your knowldge in the right blades ,materail,thicknesses and speeds to use.

Herb