Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
difalkner

Designing the layout for cutting board

Rate this topic

Once you get all the pieces cut it's time to decide which pieces will go where and in what order and orientation.  There are many ways to do this but I chose to just take one from each batch and see how it looks on this one.  So I thought I'd do a lighthearted video of the process.

Enjoy!

David

That is the nice thing about end grain cutting boards everyone has a unique design .  I went through a cutting board phase a long time ago and none were as nice as these shown.

Herb

there are right ways to build a cutting board, and there are wrong ways to build a cutting board.  but there is no one right way.  the designs and options are endless, as long as you do it correctly.  and as long as your customer/wife knows and follows the proper care instructions.  otherwise, all your effort will be wasted when the board falls apart due to carelessness.

9 minutes ago, DAB said:

there are right ways to build a cutting board, and there are wrong ways to build a cutting board.  but there is no one right way.  the designs and options are endless, as long as you do it correctly.  and as long as your customer/wife knows and follows the proper care instructions.  otherwise, all your effort will be wasted when the board falls apart due to carelessness.

You are right DAB, and the key is to use woods that contrast well together, no matter how well the workmanship,which counts too, but stands out more with great contrast and pattern. I found out too that just turning the grain and mirror imaging also makes a big difference.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

This is the PROGRAM I use for design. Got started with a PIP that DAB posted several years  ago on the old Wood site, by the way thanks for that.

1-IMG_6958.JPG.fff6a2d02cc9377dca5fa4cc725580cb.JPG

uh oh....now i'm getting blamed/credited for something.....better hide!

i think how i want it to look, then work backwards.  may do several sketches on grid paper before i settle on one i like.  that walnut and maple one is an example of that.

i had a long thread on how that was done, but it's all gone now, since photobucket screwed everyone over.

On 2/3/2018 at 6:47 PM, difalkner said:

So I thought I'd do a lighthearted video of the process.

Liked the video. Even better with the "annoying sounds." :lol:

Cutting board layout pretty cool too.B)