Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! January 29th, 2018

John Morris

34 minutes ago, Charles Nicholls said:

Good afternoon all, unfortunately I'm back in the hospital again. I do not know how long I'll be here this time but it's looking like right at a week. I'll keep you posted. 

So sorry to hear this Charles...wishing you the best and a quick turn-a-round.

Keep us posted.

1 hour ago, Gene Howe said:

Arizona prices for Teak. OMG!

Teak 8/4 Lumber 
Random Widths, Random Lengths

$44.99 /Board Feet

1-99$44.99 /Bd. Ft.

100-999$33.74 /Bd. Ft. (25% off)

1000+$30.14 /Bd. Ft. (33% off)

Yep, it ain’t cheap, but it’s worth IMO 

There’s a reason they put it on submarine decks... weather reistent, and just plain awesome. I sometimes get it from a furniture importer  in Minneapolis call Danish teaks- they bring over Danish grown teak a few times per year  if they need to restore or replace parts from damaged Midcentury pieces they sell there.  It is super rough cut, but less than 1/2 the price in AZ sounds like, Not sure if those were rough cut prices.

And teak plywood,   Don’t even get me started,  non marine grade furniture quality 3 mm thick ply is $400  for a 4’x6’ sheet.

k end rant. Sorry!

Finally getting around to this.... "Celebration of Life" for the relative who lost his life in a snowmobile mishap was on Sunday. Got there early. Every parking spot for two blocks was already taken!!! Good thing a B-I-L lives right across the road, and had space in his driveway. The Legion hall was already full, with a line  of people at least 100' long waiting to offer the family their condolences. It took us over 30 minutes to get through, and we had a table reserved by a friend so we could sit and converse with old friends. We saw three hockey teams come through in their jerseys (He AND his three sons were active in sports) , as well as several other athletic clubs. Firefighters from his home station (He was acting Chief) forty miles away came in a fire truck, which was parked prominently outside the hall. Other firemen came from the entire area, as well as police and ambulance personel. My wife recognized an elderly gentleman who had been his teacher many years ago. At one time, the line-up extended half-way around the outside of the building. The event was supposed to end at 4:30, but people were still coming in an hour after that. A conservative estimate of the numbers would be 1,000 people, but personally, I think it was closer to double that! 

We skipped the actual funeral on Monday. Haven't heard yet, how it went, but I heard that police had to direct traffic.

John

P.s. Did I mention he was well liked?

Dane, what I've seen in their sales room is S2S. 

They grow teak in Denmark? 

Sorry not Danish grown, But from Denmark furniture makers shops that close. Kind of like K-bid in the US. It’s pretty awesome to see shipping containers full of Danish furniture and 30, 16’ big slabs of teak  from Denmark...  i’ll take a picture the next time I go....  it would be pretty cool to find out how old would actually is? 

13 minutes ago, Dane Franco said:

Dane, what I've seen in their sales room is S2S. 

They grow teak in Denmark? 

Sorry not Danish grown, But from Denmark furniture makers shops that close. Kind of like K-bid in the US. It’s pretty awesome to see shipping containers full of Danish furniture and 30, 16’ big slabs of teak  from Denmark...  i’ll take a picture the next time I go....  it would be pretty cool to find out how old would actually is? 

OK, thanks. That teak has done some traveling, for sure. Yeah, I'd love to see some pictures.

Thanks, Gene! nope, that was an estate sale score. I’m workin on a pair of Ib Kofod Larsen replica now tho. Similar style, just loose cushion. Here’s the arm roughed out from power carving it. Now it’s hours of spoke shave, and rasp...no wonder they cost sooo much!

image.jpg

6D785E31-5AF1-4FCA-9195-0329F9DCC980.jpeg

5 hours ago, HARO50 said:

We skipped the actual funeral on Monday. Haven't heard yet, how it went, but I heard that police had to direct traffic.

Just returned from having lunch with some of the family. The funeral was even bigger than the life celebration. Firefighters from all over the province were in attendance. After the speeches, his casket was loaded into a restored 1940's fire truck for one last trip around the neighbourhood, including the court where he lived, then back to the funeral home. Traffic in the area came to a standstill for most of the afternoon, as most of the roads were blocked with parked cars. The poor country boy from the wrong side of the tracks seems to have made a few friends in his time on Earth. I guess that's what it's really all about, isn't it!

John

Update: went to town. Got my ears lowered, got some groceries, picked up a couple pkgs at the PO, got my order of sanding belts from Ace. 

No lunch. Been sanding legs for the river table. Epoxy should be here tomorrow afternoon. Then, I can have some fun. After getting the table pieces sanded I'll be out of work until the glass is here. Might start learning that laser thingie I got way before Thanksgiving. I promised to quit procrastinating but, I keep putting it off.