New Member here Saying Hello

PanamaLergro

Thanks a lot Wichman and stick. btw, since I am starting to learn, do you know other blogs or anything that will help me start my study. right now this one helps me https://www.joineryplans.com/blog/5-first-steps-get-started-woodworking/ 

I'm trying to browse topics right now on forums and there are a lot so I'm having difficulties looking for beginner tips. If you can link me some forums topics and guide/tips about joinery and woodscraft it will be great help. Thank you for hearing me out.

Welcome aboard Panama...This is a great place to hang out and learn.

There are some Blogs here: http://thepatriotwoodworker.com/blogs/  contributed by some of our members.  There also is a Blog hyperlink at the top, center of the Home Page.

If you have access to You-Tube there is mountains of videos for all types of projects, skill levels and areas of interest. A word of caution though, not all are done well or using safe shop practices.

Looking forward to your participation and don't hesitate to ask questions about the site, or How-to helps. Glad you found us.

Edited by Grandpadave52

Welcome to the fun, Panama. I understand your thirst for knowledge, you are certainly welcome to look elsewhere but there is a great amount of talent here on the forum. Asking a specific question (...and there are NO stupid questions here) will overwhelm you with the answers. You should remember that there are many ways to accomplish the same goals. You will have to find what works for you. Your learning curve will decrease dramatically just by taking advantage of the, literally, hundreds of years of experience on this forum.

If you have some specific questions, please ask. Between the members on this forum we can probably provide you with enough links, reading material, and plans to keep you busy into next year. If you are more of a visual learner YouTube is certainly a good venue.  However, as Grandpadave, said, not all of the techniques are the best or the safest.

Again, welcome to the community.

Bill

Welcome. What are your interests (i.e., what projects do you have in mind)?  I'm trying to think of some good introductory books.  I started way before any old bloke could start posting YouTube videos.  And don't believe everything you read or hear on the internet.

Some general advice:

1. Get tools as you need them for your next project.   Don't just go out and buy a bunch of tools that you won't ever use.  Avoid cheap tools -- they won't work right and you'll end up replacing them.   On the other end, you don't need premium tools.  Accomplishment is much on the wooden end of hammer.

2. Your projects might not be perfect (none of ours are, mistakes happen and are a learning opportunity), but express your skill level at the time.   Try to stretch on each project to gain skills.  "Skill is made, not born in us, and it advances best through difficulties." - Charles Hayward (1898-1998)

3.  Spend time making projects, not just fixtures for your shop.

http://chiefs-shop.com/html/five_things_about_beginner_woo.html

Welcome to the forums here.   As has been said, feel free to ask questions (just don't be upset if someone doesn't have an instantaneous answer for you - folks aren't always online; or the right folks who might know aren't, so you may not get an answer right away.).   Some of use (well, me, for instance), don't know spit, so don't be surprised as whatever we post.   One of the first things i will tell you (which I also told Artie) is to have and use eye protection, hearing protection, and due caution when using any tool.   We never like hearing that anyone has been hurt.

Welcome Panama. You'll find the complete range of woodworkers here, from beginners to the highly skilled craftsmen. I've found that no matter what level you're at, everyone has something to offer..If you ask, someone will be able to help, from how to drive a nail to the most complex joinery. A great bunch of guys here. Drop your line in these waters, you'll find the fishing is great.

Welcome! Glad ta have ya. In my experience, you just have to practice and think about what you need to know- to build what you want..... Start with basics.  Miters, a half lap, then maybe a bridal joint... take your time until you can do it. You’ll get it!  :) my .02 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMwkFVvmhR6JmDgdWkio2kA. This is one of my fav dudes.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Electric scotty said:

Scott from Canada.   Electrician and elevator mechanic but love woodworking.  All types.  Recently bought a 36” general international would lathe and loving it.  Made a ton of pens already.   That’s pretty much it.   Always looking for interesting projects.  

Welcome Scotty!!! Great to have ya sir!