Working with scroll saw patterns

DerBengel

@stick486 unfortunately, I never even heard of that company. I thought AT&T still offered broadband - on their site, it says yes. When I call and give specific address, no. And the neighborhood my sister is in, no broadband. It's only certain areas of the city. They don't want to invest money to re-wire the older areas. It's stupid because where I moved from last year and where moved to, there's a lot of businesses, apartment complexes and houses. It's like everything is falling WAY behind in technology. ONLY company I can find that caters to my address is comcast. Can't get MTCO, AT&T, Frontier...there are several other companies around but they either cater to the smaller surrounding towns only or they are in the air and that limits you greatly on monthly usage. I would gladly go to DSL if someone would wire the place up for it.

Hope I never do, but if I ever move again, guess I will have to move soley based on internet availability! I really like where I am living though. I can see me being here for the rest of my life, assuming they never close down or anything horrible like that.

Edited by DerBengel
added comment

well, yeah, I as I was saying, if I get rid of comcast I will go to Paneras or McD's cause they are walking distance and I can sit there for a while, but since it's free I can't do everything...school will be hard cause it's computer classes sighhh. I have been trying to get away from Comcas since the day I had to leave AT&T about 11 years ago. I was very happy with them, had been with them shorter after they started dial-up. lol Never herad of Rise Broadband, will go take a look...eh, they have the exact same message AT&T does...we are always expanding-check back soon...LOL OH! And they are not actually broadband-it says they are wi-fi, that means I won't have enough bandwidth for my needs. It also means they will be expensive, if they do ever come here. AT&T wants to charge something like $40 plus tax for 10GB/month wi-fi.

@Stick486 Oh! Now there's a possibility! I will give them a call next week to see if they can help me out! $45 is definitely better fitted into my budget, too!

Thanks! Here's crossing fingers!

EDIT: Oh wait! No, it's not going to work...if it's DSL, we are not wired for DSL here...that's why I couldn't go back to AT&T. But, I will still give them a call for specifics.

Edited by DerBengel

Not so. It's 2 wires in a standard telephone line. It's 4 wires inside a DSL line.

One will act as phone line and the other acts as data line. Even in my sister's area they did not wire for DSL.

Well now, wait a minute...Now you got me thinking...if it is standard, then why does the phone company have to go out for installing DSL from the phone boxes? And why did they tell me I couldn't use DSL at my last place of living? They said I could get dial-up, but after 8 hours, I cancelled it. Then they said sorry the phone lines were outdated and they had no plans to rewire that neighborhood cause there wasn't enough interest? I told them the only reason there wasn't enough interest is because they didn't update to get the interest. lol This was told to me 11 years ago and then just this year when I knew my comcast could be changing prices...

Edited by DerBengel

20 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

if there is a phone line (land line) coming into the building, working or not, you have the makings for DSL...

Umm, no. The wiring must be up to a certain standard AND there must be a digital switch (hardware) within 1/4 mile. ( I can't get DSL in MY neighborhood either.) The cable companies invested huge amounts of capitol in infrastructure back in the day in return for exclusive rights in perpetuity, that's why only one cable service provider. I use Rise myself, that's why I brought it up . Not that it's the best system, just a way around the other limitations.

Thanks for the explanation @Wichman3  I was just reading up on it and was about to come back and explain it, but you did it for me! And I will call Rise and see if they have near future plans, but when I put my zip code in, it was a no go. In fact, I remember the first time I got DSL at my parent's house when I had to move back home, a phone man had to come out and do all kinds of work 2 blocks away on the phone box and wire it all the way into the house.

Now, another option I started thinking about the last  hour, is if there is a way for me to make $100/month on the computer...then I could just leave everything the way it is and make $8 profit/month! hahaha

@Stick486 Now, dial-up worked on a regular old phone line, but you cannot even find that in very many locations today.

I remember now! The phone line uses even (symmetrical) speed incoming and outgoing. The DSL uses speeds faster for incoming and slower for outgoing. So they used an asymmetrical technology on the new lines that are installed for DSL.

WOW!!! I have all kinds of memories flooding back, like using command line to partition my hard drive...lol

Edited by DerBengel

3 hours ago, DerBengel said:

Not so. It's 2 wires in a standard telephone line. It's 4 wires inside a DSL line.

so my 2 wire DSL hook up that I'm on now, as in this moment, installed in 1972, that use to be a land line, that was disconnected as a land line around 9 years ago isn't working or going to work then...

what ever they say...

Edited by Stick486

2 hours ago, Stick486 said:

so my 2 wire DSL hook up that I'm on now, as in this moment, installed in 1972, that use to be a land line, that was disconnected as a land line around 9 years ago isn't working or going to work then...

what ever they say...

Okay, now I am confused. Cause there's supposed to be fiber options or something inside the wires used by DSL...

When I had dial-up, sure I could plug that straight in and get to hear all the modem sounds. I almost miss that! haha And it used the same size plug as the inside phone line.

The house I grew up in, we moved into back in 1972...and when DSL came out and I finally jumped on it, they said it would not work. The telephone man spent several hours rewiring that box a couple blocks away and then running new wire into the house-yes the phone line and DSL line were both inside the sheath, but it now had 4 wires. and you can see them. Cause it's twice as wide as a normal phone plug where you plug it in at.

WOW! I just went to Earthlink's site and there it is!!! I blast from the past, for sure. But I don't have a land line, to run it on. I use VOIP for phone cause, after taxes, it averages out around $15/month or less, with the company I use. Seems AT&T is around $30/month for phone service and then $10 for Earthlink. But there's one problem, I would still be severely restricted on my abilities to do certain things. For instance, I just installed Visual Studio the other day and it was 28GB of download/install. It would take a week on old dial-up! hahaha

I remember those days when you would install Windows or a major set of updates and it would be literally 8 hours, tired, go to bed...wake up to go to the bathroom and see if it was done or not...and that was nowhere near 28GB of data. LOL

Yeah, I can't hack dial-up ever again. When I moved to that last place, like I was telling ya, the first day they said sorry, not wired for DSL, but we can give you dial-up...8 hours later the SAME day, I called them back and cancelled it. Then had to go to Comcast, cause MTCO was outside of town and very limited back then. IF I could afford stritctly wi-fi, would be good cause they do the 4G stuff now. At this rate, if I can get comcast to come down, I can stay there, but after the last go-round, I am not optimistic. So yeah, wi-fi at the restaurant will probably be my Option 2. After looking at a couple sites, even Frontier included...not sure I will get a positive answer from these other 3 companies, but I won't know until I try.

@Stick486 You never did tell me what you use for sending/reading your E-mail?

Edited by DerBengel

1 hour ago, DerBengel said:

Okay, now I am confused. Cause there's supposed to be fiber options or something inside the wires used by DSL...

no phone service here...

just using the old phone line for DSL..

no FO either... that's another whole ball game..

COMPUTER > ROUTER > PHONE LINE > J BOX > D BOX > THE WORLD.... all on two wires...

the phone line in use was installed in '72 and hasn't seen IRL phone service in 9 years...

if there was phone service there would be a need for an HFF.....

stand alone only needs a pair of wires.. the better the condition of the lines the better the service/baud rate.. 40mb is easily attainable...

read the information in the links...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subscriber_line

Digital subscriber line (DSL; originally digital subscriber loop) is a family of technologies that are used to transmit digital data over telephone lines. In telecommunications marketing, the term DSL is widely understood to mean asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL), the most commonly installed DSL technology, for Internet access. DSL service can be delivered simultaneously with wired telephone service on the same telephone line since DSL uses higher frequency bands for data. On the customer premises, a DSL filter on each non-DSL outlet blocks any high-frequency interference to enable simultaneous use of the voice and DSL services.

https://computer.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm

If you have read How Telephones Work, then you know that a standard telephone installation in the United States consists of a pair of copper wires that the phone company installs in your home. The copper wires have lots of room for carrying more than your phone conversations -- they are capable of handling a much greater bandwidth, or range of frequencies, than that demanded for voice. DSL exploits this "extra capacity" to carry information on the wire without disturbing the line's ability to carry conversations. The entire plan is based on matching particular frequencies to specific tasks.

@Stick486 I am going to try to use this in speaking to AT&T again. But I also read in those same 2 articles how they upgraded "most" phone lines to work with fiber optics-I still remember when that happened, it was delayed and Clinton was the one to push for this. But not all phone lines got the upgrade. Are you sure the town you live didn't get FO installed?

I did see in the first article that AT&T has to offer naked DSL, so that will be my focus.

Okay, I know what a J Box is, but what is a D box?

Both articles talk about digital and if it's only analog, I don't think it will work. This is the wiring outside the house from the boxes. I also read something in there about the loop limitations, which I think is the case here. 

If they have to send someone out to work on the main connections, they won't do it. They told me years ago, they will not come out just to set up one customer. If they are going to come out, they will do it for the whole neighborhood that's why I said yesterday, they said there was not enough customer interest to waste that kind of money. 

Man, get over here on Monday and make the phone call for me!!! hahaha