Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Here's pulling for you Charles...

Keep on keeping on Charles...

Stop in as you can to let us know your OK.

Charles, I know you been full of challenges my friend, hang in there sir, and we hope you are able to make it back here more often. I know we had discussed air filtration in the past, and it kind of just went by the wayside.

I am curious, if you are able too, can you link the ideal filtration system you would need here in this topic? With image, or links to the retailers pages? I want to know what you are looking at that you need to keep you turning the wood, just curious is all.

Good to see you visit, hope things improve!

3 hours ago, John Morris said:

Charles, I know you been full of challenges my friend, hang in there sir, and we hope you are able to make it back here more often. I know we had discussed air filtration in the past, and it kind of just went by the wayside.

I am curious, if you are able too, can you link the ideal filtration system you would need here in this topic? With image, or links to the retailers pages? I want to know what you are looking at that you need to keep you turning the wood, just curious is all.

Sure can do that John. Here are at least 2 of the ones I had considered, but they do not pull dust directly away from the lathe like I ultimately need, but it would at least do a considerable job.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Hanging-Air-Filter-3-Speed/G0738?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7NbP1rP22AIVCw9pCh1f4gOgEAYYByABEgKklvD_BwE&utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-Duty-Double-Air-Filter-with-Remote-Control/G9956?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7NbP1rP22AIVCw9pCh1f4gOgEAYYBSABEgIL7fD_BwE&utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

these would not hang from the ceiling in this case, but would sit on the top of a closet where Shadow is.

image.png.bb299fdfb56da775d9ba5707fe6ff7bb.png

Edited by Charles Nicholls

Thanks Charles, what would you do for the dust and debris coming off your lathe directly?

11 minutes ago, lew said:

8 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Thanks Charles, what would you do for the dust and debris coming off your lathe directly?

Thanks Lew, that is similar to one of the Grizzly's I was looking at. I like that remote idea too.

John, the stuff that just falls on the floor, I have a 5 gallon shop vac for that, but it would be neat if I had a system that would handle both issues, but too expensive and too noisy usually, for an apartment setting.

I understand your turning production has suffered due to inadequate ventilation. So let me get this straight, if a fine particulate system like that Grizzly were in your home, then your turning production would increase? Would that solve the problem?

Then I just saw Lew's system, would that work too?

Glad to see you back posting Charles. Health issues sure can  change your lifestyle. Keeping in touch with friends and those who share your interests is great therapudic medicine.

1 hour ago, Charles Nicholls said:

these would not hang from the ceiling in this case, but would sit on the top of a closet where Shadow is.

From Shadow's facial expression, he doesn't seem to support the location decision.:P

I would think regardless Grizzly, Wen, Jet or other similar units, you will need to secure in some fashion Charles. I suspect the stub wall location is only 6" or 8" wide? I'd be fearful that eventually the unit would move enough through normal vibration to become unbalanced on one side or other then tip over? Just something to consider IMO.

1 hour ago, Grandpadave52 said:

From Shadow's facial expression, he doesn't seem to support the location decision.:P

I would think regardless Grizzly, Wen, Jet or other similar units, you will need to secure in some fashion Charles. I suspect the stub wall location is only 6" or 8" wide? I'd be fearful that eventually the unit would move enough through normal vibration to become unbalanced on one side or other then tip over? Just something to consider IMO.

2 hours ago, John Morris said:

I understand your turning production has suffered due to inadequate ventilation. So let me get this straight, if a fine particulate system like that Grizzly were in your home, then your turning production would increase? Would that solve the problem?

2 hours ago, John Morris said:

Then I just saw Lew's system, would that work too?

2 hours ago, It Was Al B said:

Glad to see you back posting Charles. Health issues sure can  change your lifestyle. Keeping in touch with friends and those who share your interests is great therapudic medicine.

GrandpaDave brings up an issue that I hadn't even thought of which is vibration of the unit.

I have NO idea about how much any of these would vibrate since I never have owned one.

IF it will sit still on the closet as i want it to, then I have no issues, but if it moves, then I would need to find a way to secure it to the floor, or the closet.

Any information you guys can give me on this is most appreciated.

John, If it would stay where I put it without shifting, then yes Lew's system would  probably do just fine.

This is a granny sized apartment. It's probably 15x25'. So those of you that know about dust evac and air cleaning can get a good idea from that whether these would work.

I do like the idea of having whatever it is on some sort of remote control.

If any of you wish to speak to me directly about this, that's fine, you probably have my phone numbers anyway. I know Ron does.

Feel free to call anytime  before 9pm.

Hey Al! thank you, it feels great to be back here again.

Mine hangs from the ceiling but there is virtually zero vibration when it runs. There are rubber feet on the bottom that would keep the unit in position if setting on a surface. The remote in RF not infrared which is nice because you don't have to have line of sight for it to work.

I forgot to mention, I bought mine thru WalMart. Had it shipped directly to the store- free shipping that way. 

Edited by lew

1 minute ago, lew said:

Mine hangs from the ceiling but there is virtually zero vibration when it runs. There are rubber feet on the bottom that would keep the unit in position if setting on a surface. The remote in RF not infrared which is nice because you don't have to have line of sight for it to work.

Cool thanks Lew.

Just FYI guys, the closet that I would put it on if it would work there, is 2ft deep 6'6" high and has approximately 14" clearance from top of closet to the ceiling.