Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

I never seen the need to have separate light duty clamps on hand...

light duty can't do do heavy work/jobs but heavy duty clamps can do light work...

Edited by Stick486

2 hours ago, Stick486 said:

heavy duty clamps can do light work...

Not all the time.  Sometimes a big a** clamp just gets in the way.  Kind of like using a chain saw to do chip carving.  I guess it depends on the job at hand.

51 minutes ago, PostalTom said:

Not all the time.  Sometimes a big a** clamp just gets in the way.  Kind of like using a chain saw to do chip carving.  I guess it depends on the job at hand.

we're talking quick clamps here...

2 hours ago, Stick486 said:

we're talking quick clamps here...

If by "quick clamps" you mean squeeze clamps, Irwin style, no I'm not.  I'm talking about the 6" and 18" clamps in the picture in the original post.  Maybe they don't have a place in your shop, and that's fine.  Everybody has their own style of working.  I have a few, and I use them frequently.

5 minutes ago, PostalTom said:

If by "quick clamps" you mean squeeze clamps, Irwin style, no I'm not.  I'm talking about the 6" and 18" clamps in the picture in the original post.  Maybe they don't have a place in your shop, and that's fine.  Everybody has their own style of working.  I have a few, and I use them frequently.

this is a clamp thread...

just said what happened to the borrowed HF quick clamps... and why asd a heads up...

as far as the originally pictured claps go ..

I have them also... but not from HF..

10 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

this is a clamp thread...

just said what happened to the borrowed HF quick clamps... and why asd a heads up...

as far as the originally pictured claps go ..

I have them also... but not from HF..

I know this is a clamp thread.  And in that spirit, I was making the point that HF clamps are not necessarily bad,  just because they are from HF.

6 minutes ago, PostalTom said:

I was making the point that HF clamps are not necessarily bad

I said they were...

plastic pivot pins that broke....

pads fell off..

piss poor clamping...

plastic locking cam...

structure failure..

Edited by Stick486

I tried one of the HF plastic squeeze clamps and blew the sides out on the first use. But, the F Styles work just fine. I've got plenty of long panel clamps, both pipes and the flat ratcheting type but, if I needed more, I'd give the HF ones a shot. 

4 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

I tried one of the HF plastic squeeze clamps and blew the sides out on the first use. But, the F Styles work just fine. I've got plenty of long panel clamps, both pipes and the flat ratcheting type but, if I needed more, I'd give the HF ones a shot. 

I got a big blood blister on the web of my hand between the thumb and fore finger.

Herb

I started buying HF plastic spring clamps when I started building the go- cart track in 1981-82 . Lots and lots of the 14 piece sets back then, some of all sizes in each set... I guess maybe I knew how to use them for I still have most all those clamps and still have them clamped to the sides of 2 pieces of resawed lumber... .I've had 3 or 4 to break since then but they gave me credit like they said they would...so I missed the drift of the conversations but I am happy with the clamps..