Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

25 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

What night? Should I bring a dish?:P

You pick any day next week. And, a batch of mayonnaisey cole slaw would be great. ;)

Oh and, BYOB. Not beer....Bib.

Edited by Gene Howe

2 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

What night? Should I bring a dish?:P

I got the beverage covered...

33 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

I got the beverage covered...

Party time!!!

6 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Party time!!!

how many kegs/barrels needed???

So far, it's just Dave, you and I. I'd guess a keg would do it. And, since I'm not a big beer drinker, you two will probably have plenty. 

3 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Oh and, BYOB. Not beer....Bib.

What, no shop towels?

Guess I'll have to pack my long tail t-shirts for this shindig!:P

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

I'd guess a keg would do it

each.. okay... and a spare just in case..

since I don't do beer..

s-l1000.jpg&f=1

1 hour ago, Grandpadave52 said:

What, no shop towels?

fire hose...

2 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

What, no shop towels?

Guess I'll have to pack my long tail t-shirts for this shindig!:P

Never! Don't want to get them all greasy. :lol:

4 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

So far, it's just Dave, you and I. I'd guess a keg would do it. And, since I'm not a big beer drinker, you two will probably have plenty. 

Unless it's prefaced with Root I won't be a threat. Probably haven't drank 5 total in the last 10 years.

I have used Beer to cook chickens, marinate meats and make some sauces though...

Can I join the party ? I'll bring the towels . Do you want blue or white ?

green...

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:50 PM, Gene Howe said:

Herb, I use artist's acrylic paint in the tubes. In 6 oz. Of the mix, about a 1/4" of the worm that comes out will give you a solid color. Of course, you can lessen it for  more transparency.

I always buy the crystal clear, as often it might get used without any paint or other additions. For small jobs, Alumilite has a 16 oz kit. (2ea 8 oz bottles) of crystal clear. 

As to mixing, you'll need three containers. The size of all three need to be about twice as big as the total amount of the mix. You'll need some tongue depressors as stir sticks or, a longer scrap of wood for larger mixes. And a rubber spatula or one of those plastic, handled, putty knives used for applying small batches of Bondo.

You carefully measure out an amount from the first bottle into one container. Then an equal amount in the second container. Then pour both, one at a time, into the third container. Being careful to scrape out each container to get all of the contents. Then stir for two minutes, scraping the sides as you stir. After two minutes of stirring, transfer the epoxy to one of your other used containers. Scrape it all out. Then stir for another two minutes. If you add color, you can do that before either stir. 

If you are coating a flat piece and you have calculated correctly, you'll want to use every drop. That's where the spatula or putty knife comes into play. You use that to scrape out all of the liquid. If you've mixed too much...the excess is just gone.

After it's poured to the thickness you want, you'll see the air bubbles begin to appear. That's where you use the heat gun blowing across the surface. This gets rid of the bubbles, but keep an eye on it. More may appear. Be ready.

Most epoxies need the pouring area heated to around 70 to 75 degrees. And, even more dust free than for applying poly. Usually my edge dams are high enough to support a piece of cardboard across it.

I hope this has been helpful. I'm no expert but, if you have questions I'll try to answer them...or find the answer.

Hey, @John Morris, would this be a good addition to your tutorial section?

23 minutes ago, It Was Al B said:

Can I join the party ? I'll bring the towels . Do you want blue or white ?

Well it's Gene's party, but sounds like he's got plenty mesquite chips and is planing to stock up some more soon so shouldn't be a problem especially since he needs someone to bring the bibs.:P

Probably best to bring the blue...white one's may not survive.:lol:

@It Was Al B, c'mon down. Stick has the beer covered, got plenty of ribs, Dave's bringing cole slaw, and, with your blue towels, were good to go. 

4 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Stick has the beer covered,

let's up the ante and go w/ Sarsaparilla..

11 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

let's up the ante and go w/ Sarsaparilla..

Bottles or kegs?

8 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Bottles or kegs?

vats...